Massey 1080 Won't Start

/ Massey 1080 Won't Start #1  

BCMac

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 3255, Massey Ferguson 35, Massey Ferguson 1080, Ford 8N, John Deere D110
Hey Guys,

I have a Massey 1080 with the Perkins deisel that doesn't want to start for me anymore. I had a problem in the winter where it didnt want to start as well, but come spring we were able to change the fuel filters, got it primed, and was then running fine.

A few weeks later it seems to have run out of fuel, or at least acted like it, and hasnt started since.

I topped up the fuel tank, we bled the system, thinking the lift pump diaphram may have finally given up, replaced that too. Since we were in the state of not running, I also replaced the o rings and gasket on the CAV fuel injection pump. We have been able bleed the system of air and getting fuel right through the injectors. For a while it kept spinning like it really wanted to start, but just wouldn't. A little bit of WD40 at the air intake and we were able to get it running on that. It even caught the diesel and was running on that for a bit, albeit not consistently or smoothly. Once it was running on diesel, it would race for a few seconds, then it would slow right down to an almost stalling idle, then back up. The throttle had no impact on the speed at which the engine ran.

I am at a loss here. No idea where to even start. If its a fuel injection pump that needs replacing, so be it, I just dont want to replace that for $800 if its something else. And since its from 1970, I figure if I am going in and replacing stuff, I might as well deal with and clean up any other potential problem areas.

Any thoughts?

/ Massey 1080 Won't Start #2  
Sounds to me like the injection pump is the problem as I've been repairing them for fourty years. Has there ever been traces of water in the fuel? That will cause internal part to stick, and a complete tear down and cleaning will be needed. Just repaired an MF 180 pump for the same trouble that was sent from North Carolina, was under 300 to fix that one.

/ Massey 1080 Won't Start
Many thanks Dieseltech - it's entirely possible that there has been traces of water in the fuel. It's an old tractor and I have only owned it a short while.

Guess it's time to bite the bullet and find someone to service it or buy a new one...

/ Massey 1080 Won't Start #4  
If you like give me a call some evening, I may be able to repair it. That one is fairly easy to remove/replace, can't get it out of time. Five seven four eight three five 3292. I've had pumps sent to be repaired farther away than you are! Be glad to explain what you need to do to remove it. I'm in north central Indiana..

/ Massey 1080 Won't Start #5  
Hey Guys,

I have a Massey 1080 with the Perkins deisel that doesn't want to start for me anymore. I had a problem in the winter where it didnt want to start as well, but come spring we were able to change the fuel filters, got it primed, and was then running fine.

A few weeks later it seems to have run out of fuel, or at least acted like it, and hasnt started since.

I topped up the fuel tank, we bled the system, thinking the lift pump diaphram may have finally given up, replaced that too. Since we were in the state of not running, I also replaced the o rings and gasket on the CAV fuel injection pump. We have been able bleed the system of air and getting fuel right through the injectors. For a while it kept spinning like it really wanted to start, but just wouldn't. A little bit of WD40 at the air intake and we were able to get it running on that. It even caught the diesel and was running on that for a bit, albeit not consistently or smoothly. Once it was running on diesel, it would race for a few seconds, then it would slow right down to an almost stalling idle, then back up. The throttle had no impact on the speed at which the engine ran.

I am at a loss here. No idea where to even start. If its a fuel injection pump that needs replacing, so be it, I just dont want to replace that for $800 if its something else. And since its from 1970, I figure if I am going in and replacing stuff, I might as well deal with and clean up any other potential problem areas.

Any thoughts?

I had the same problem on mine I have a 285 MF and the tank is located on top of the motor and there was a screen on the pit cock almost plugged shut with dirt and rust. If its under your feet i have heard of pickup tubes getting pin holes in them and letting it suck air. With the way its racing up and down its got to be running out of fuel or getting air in. Try running it off a jug of fuel with a rubber hose to the lift pump. If your looking to get your pump rebuilt I had on done at this place Ford DPA tractor injection injector pump rebuilding service, Diesel Care and Performance Inc cheapest place I could find and it sure did wake it up.
Hope this helps.

/ Massey 1080 Won't Start
Ok guys I'm getting ready to take the fuel injection pump out. The service manual says there's not much to it, no timing issues to keep track of, etc. is there anything specific I should be watching out for? It does mention some scribe lines - what are these and what do they mean?