massey 135 differental lock

/ massey 135 differental lock #1  

chas4160

Tractor
massey-ferguson 135
I just purchased a 135 diesel american model and differental lock won't engage. Any tips on freeing this . Thanks

/ massey 135 differental lock #2  
Your post is ambiguous. If the pedal moves the stops solid when stationary I suggest you drive slowly then start to make a gentle turn either way, this will allow the diff lock teeth to engauge.
If the pedal is rock solid, it has probably seized due to lack of use. I have had this problem before. I make liberal use of a penetrating oil like wd40 and repeat for 2 or 3 days then try moving the pedal.If it does not move under your weight then get a hammer and pry bar. LIGHTLY hit the pedal, it should move down, if it does then add more penetrating oil and use the pry bar to lift the pedal back to it's uppermost position.Then repeat , each time gaining more travel in the pedal. It is slow and patient work , but cheaper than pulling the tractor apart.
BUT if the pedal won't shift ,don't force it, add more penetrating oil and try in a couple more days when the penetrating oil has had time to work.
Worst case, it will be a mechanic job.

/ massey 135 differental lock
Your post is ambiguous. If the pedal moves the stops solid when stationary I suggest you drive slowly then start to make a gentle turn either way, this will allow the diff lock teeth to engauge.
If the pedal is rock solid, it has probably seized due to lack of use. I have had this problem before. I make liberal use of a penetrating oil like wd40 and repeat for 2 or 3 days then try moving the pedal.If it does not move under your weight then get a hammer and pry bar. LIGHTLY hit the pedal, it should move down, if it does then add more penetrating oil and use the pry bar to lift the pedal back to it's uppermost position.Then repeat , each time gaining more travel in the pedal. It is slow and patient work , but cheaper than pulling the tractor apart.
BUT if the pedal won't shift ,don't force it, add more penetrating oil and try in a couple more days when the penetrating oil has had time to work.
Worst case, it will be a mechanic job.

Thanks!!! for the reply Redman, the pedal does move and shaft rotates. the pedal drops from the top position to about halfway to floor then is solid can't feel anything engaging. I got a can of pb blaster and will spray it and keep working at it.

/ massey 135 differental lock #4  
I must say My MF135 Locker is pretty smooth engaging, I feel nothing but both tires start to move together.. So I would assume that you are left spinning one wheel at times even with the locker pedal depressed?

I must say My MF135 Locker is pretty smooth engaging, I feel nothing but both tires start to move together.. So I would assume that you are left spinning one wheel at times even with the locker pedal depressed?

you got thinking, maybe it is engaging, I'm trying this on firm ground as i just bought the tractor and never had it spinning. Thanks for that heads up, I'll put that on the back burner for now.

/ massey 135 differental lock #6  
Hello chas4160, From your description it sounds like the pedal works. Are you stationary or moving in a straight line? If either,the diff lock usually can't engage. Try driving and turning gently left or right to allow the teeth to engage. When it does the pedal should go almost to the floor. When the diff lock engages, as you keep the front wheels turned they will start to sledge as the locked diff will force the tractor straight ahead.The sledging shows the diff lock is working.
NB Do this on loose gravel or grass, NOT on concrete. Good luck.

redman135

I was on gravel however didn't turn the wheels i was in a straight line. I will try turning the wheels in both directions and see what happens. Thanks for the feedback on this. I'll keep u posted on what takes place....