Massey 135 front weight options

/ Massey 135 front weight options #1  

mcinsc

Tractor
Gravely L8
So while "cat-walking" my new to me 135 up some of the hills with the disk hooked up this past weekend it occurred to me that I probably need a little more weight on the front :laughing:

I have the factory front bumper with the grill guard which isn't meant to hold suitcase weights. I know there is a front mount for suitcase weights, but I'm not sure I want to remove the grill guard to put the weight bracket on. I am thinking about having a 2" receiver welded to a flat plate and use the mounting holes on the tractor that the front weight rack is intended to mount to. I could have a weight bracket fabricated to fit in the 2" receiver and could also use the receiver for other things like my hitch haul.

Has anyone done anything like this, or have a better idea?

/ Massey 135 front weight options #2  
I have a '67 135 with the Cont. gas engine...I was having an issue with "light front end" with the 6ft. Land Pride finish mower..I finally found the Massey weight bracket (at a reasonable price....they now can be had for around $260) and already had (5) 42lb suitcase weights...had to cut 4 holes in the bracket to bolt some on (cutting torch)..I find that 2 weights were all that I needed plus the weight of the bracket...also around 40 couple lbs.. I also wrap a 15 ft logging chain around it in case I need it in the woods...works fine for me...I have a feeling that once you go thru all the stuff you mention (ie. "fabricated) you might as well get the Massey unit...it will also act as your grill guard...but lower...BobG in VA

/ Massey 135 front weight options #3  
Years ago Dad got a bracket put on the front of our 135 and it held several 3ft lengths of railway track. It bolted up under the front axle box. That helped hold the front down. We also had the two-piece cast weights - lifted from our 35 - inside the front wheel rims, and all tyres (tubes) were water-filled.

/ Massey 135 front weight options
I hear you Bob on the fabrication. I do have a welder buddy that likes to get paid in venison so that part is easy enough to handle. I didn't know if anyone else had added a receiver up front like that and had any ideas on a better plan. Thanks for the replys.