Massey 202 Steering Pump Removal

/ Massey 202 Steering Pump Removal #1  

Frankdozer

Silver Member
Tractor
1967 Case 580CK Backhoe / Loader
Well....... I have been using my MF202 for a few days. As mentioned in a previous thread, the power steering does not work. Trying to drive it with no power steering is too tough so I need to address the issue. Anyone ever remove their pump ? Any hints to as what to expect? I either repair the steering or sell the tractor. Can the pump be rebuilt or if I need to replace it where is the best place to purchase a new one. There are many on EBay and many for sale on the Internet Are that all the same
Thanks,
Frank

/ Massey 202 Steering Pump Removal #2  
Sure its the pump?

/ Massey 202 Steering Pump Removal
What else could it be ?

/ Massey 202 Steering Pump Removal #4  
My 204 steering will work briefly after you fill it (awkward, that) then puke fluid just below the steering wheel until there is no more power assist. I see there are seal kits available for the steering valve assembly, so I guess I’d better brace myself to pull it and overhaul it.

/ Massey 202 Steering Pump Removal #5  
Removing the pump isn’t too bad. Oftentimes they’ll leak out of the large o-ring between the reservoir and pump body. It’s interesting to change that out but not too bad.

They can also leak past the pump snout seal. As you’re losing fluid, is your crankcase oil level increasing? If so, it’s that seal. Also not too difficult to replace but requires disassembly of the pump.

/ Massey 202 Steering Pump Removal
There is too much fluid in the crankcase. I値l pump out enough to have the correct amount there. Then I値l correctly fill the power steering and see what happens. Hopfully the power steering works. And I値l monitor the crankcase oil level.
Frank

/ Massey 202 Steering Pump Removal #7  
That’s an easy fix, pull the pump hoses off, remove the pump, take out the four bolts that hold it together, carefully break it down, pull the seal out of the front, press in a new one and reassemble.

IF there’s a groove worn in the pump shaft where the seal rides you can do what I did-

I shaved the seal down just a bit with some fine sandpaper, cleaned it off really well. That allowed me to press it in just a little bit further, thus making the seal ride on a different part of the shaft. No leaks in that area to date, fixed last year.