Massey 204 Generator Blues.

/ Massey 204 Generator Blues. #1  

MarblemountLane

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 204 circa 1959
I bought an old (serial number indicates 1959) Massey Ferguson 204. Great price, but it definitely needs TLC. (I have not yet seen the backhoe because the guy who sold it it to me didn稚 use it and has it stored elsewhere - I suspect resurrecting that will cost more than the tractor.) The seller pointed out that the generator is unhooked, but with a good battery the tractor will start and run fine, needing only occasional charges. I saw the wires had been cut right at the terminals on the generator.

I was thinking that it might be simpler and more cost effective to just pick up a generic one wire alternator and install that. I壇 have more output, in case I want to run lights for night work. Tonight, while changing transaxle fluid and Revers-O-Matic fluid, I actually looked closely at the generator. Darn! I saw the tach drive cable coming off the back end of the generator. I may not need that generator, but I definitely need my tachometer/hourmeter.

Given that I intend this as a home use tractor, not a collectible, are there any cost effective alternatives, or am I stuck with rebuilding that generator?

/ Massey 204 Generator Blues. #2  
You could get an generator with a W out put and a tachometer, but with LED lights the old one may be just fine, check prices on parts and see.

/ Massey 204 Generator Blues. #3  
Have the original gone thru at a rebuilders, get a new voltage regulator reconnect the wiring and have a functional system.
Is that a six or 12 volt system? You used to be able to get 8 volt batteries and tweak the voltage regulator to work.
The 6 volt will work if everything is perfect, 8 volts will start better in the winter.

/ Massey 204 Generator Blues.
Mine is 12 volt. I know what youæ±*e talking about. We used to have a 56 International farm truck that had been set up to 8 volt.

Yeah, I was hoping for a cheap out. But with the tach drive there, it pretty much looks like I知 stuck with the stock generator. You don稚 have any favorite rebuilders, do you? Now I get to track down and replace the missing wiring. 🙄

/ Massey 204 Generator Blues. #5  
If it is DC dynamo, take it of and see if it runs as a motor, if it does it's probably in working order.