Massey 4700 Options

/ Massey 4700 Options #1  

Manbearpig

Tractor
None yet
I’ve settled in on buying a new Massey 4707 and I’m trying to figure out what options I want. Specifically with the loader. The standard 931x seems to lack capacity at just under 2,200lbs. I could upgrade to the 3615 for around $3,500. That would take it up to just under 3,500lbs in lift capacity plus have the self leveling and smoothing effect of soft drive. I just don’t know if it’s worth it.

I’ve never used a FEL on a tractor. I’ve only had skid steers and a tractor without an FEL. I’d mostly just use the tractor for moving around round bales, a little dirt work, lifting litter and wood ash into a spreader truck (once a year at most), grappling brush and fallen trees, etc.

I can’t think of anything specific over 2,100 lbs that I’d want to lift, but that’s the lowest capacity I’ve seen in a tractor this size. The Kubota M4D-071 is just shy of 3,000lbs for example.

/ Massey 4700 Options #2  
The information I saw shows there are four loaders for the 4700 series, the 931X, 936X, FL3522, and FL3615. The lift height on all four is about the same and the FL3615 is a self-leveling loader. I also noted that the lift capacity is only quoted as 31.5" forward of the pivot pin, most loaders quote at the pin and then elsewhere quote at 2' in front of the pivot pin (the further from the pin, the less the lift.) 2100 pounds 31.5" in front of the pins is going to be around 3000 pounds at the pins, which is a reasonably stout loader on a utility tractor. 3400 pounds 31.5" in front of the pins is going to be over 4500 pounds at the pins, which is a lot more than most loaders for this size of tractor are rated although it is similar to where aftermarket makers such as Westendorf rate their loaders in this size class. I don't know if the difference is in how ratings are taken or if the higher-rated loaders are just that much stronger.

My tractor is in roughly the same class as yours, it is probably better compared to the 2607H though as the 4707 is somewhat larger and heavier (more comparable to the Deere 5075M than my 5075E.) I had the choice between two loaders, the 512 which has listed specifications pretty similar to the 911X and the 520M, which is a smidge stouter than but overall fairly comparable to the 931X. I chose the smaller loader as it simply fit the tractor better, the larger loader stuck way out in front of the tractor and the arms stuck way above the hood. The larger loader would have been quite cumbersome to have on the tractor when not using it. I don't have a grapple but handle 4x5 round bales on a spear without any issues, and do a lot of other general utility work including lifting pallets and moving full 6' buckets of gravel and haven't missed the larger loader one bit. From what you posted, I doubt you would either.

Self-leveling is another issue altogether and will be a personal choice. With it, you can't roll back beyond a certain point when lifting as the linkage prevents you from doing so, else it wouldn't be self-leveling. I personally have zero issues with a regular non-self-level loader but some people love self-leveling loaders for running a grapple or pallet forks.

/ Massey 4700 Options
Thank you very much for that reply. I didn’t think to look at where they were measuring that capacity. That definitely changes things. It also makes a lot more sense that their loaders would match up pretty evenly with Kubota.

What’s the formula that you used to figure out the capacity at different locations?

/ Massey 4700 Options #4  
Thank you very much for that reply. I didn’t think to look at where they were measuring that capacity. That definitely changes things. It also makes a lot more sense that their loaders would match up pretty evenly with Kubota.

What’s the formula that you used to figure out the capacity at different locations?

Looking at the loader specs for other loaders who do publish that information and estimating based on that. I know, really scientific!

/ Massey 4700 Options #5  
I have a 2021 MF 4707 with the FL3615 loader. It is easily the nicest loader on a farm tractor I've ever used and am soooo glad I upgraded to it, as I do quite a bit of work with loaders here. Having said that, the radial tires don't allow for fluid ballast and the wheel weights aren't enough, so some type of counterweight is needed to keep the rear wheels on the ground 100% of the time.

/ Massey 4700 Options #6  
I have a 4707 on order with the 931X loader. I already have a 555E Loader/Backhoe with a one yard bucket that can lift 4,000 pounds. My main use for the Massey loader will be to pick up round bales, and that's just as a backup to the backhoe. I can't imagine any scenario where I would need, or want to pay for, a better loader then the 931X