Massey Ferguson 130

/ Massey Ferguson 130 #1  

Uruguayo

Tractor
Mitsubishi mt 3501d - massey ferguson 1175 perkins 6.305 - ferguson te20 1951 perkins 4.154 marine adapted - Mf 135 1972 perkins ad 3.152
Hi all
I'm looking for reviews on the Massey Ferguson 130
I think it's of French origin and it has a Perkins engine a4.107

/ Massey Ferguson 130 #2  
If you are talking of the small 130 then stay away, go for a 133 or 135.

/ Massey Ferguson 130 #3  
Forgot why, it has nothing common with the 133/135 and almost no parts supplies, the 133/135/148 you can allmost build new from parts on the shelf.

/ Massey Ferguson 130
If you are talking of the small 130 then stay away, go for a 133 or 135.

It was what I feared, in my country I have only seen 2 mf130 published for sale and I could not find much information about them on the web which indicates bad tractor, I have a 135 diesel double clutch four speed and it is a true 100% reliable machine , thank you for answering me !!

/ Massey Ferguson 130
Forgot why, it has nothing common with the 133/135 and almost no parts supplies, the 133/135/148 you can allmost build new from parts on the shelf.

Yesterday I went to see the 130 in person.
It is a very nice tractor in sight but it is obviously a problem when getting spare parts.
It has broken the hydraulic pump and did not get replacement, they adapted a forward with a toothed belt and placed a two-way hydraulic valve to operate the rear lift, then the depth control does not work with the plow, and I decide not to buy it.
I'm going to go for a diesel 35 which I'm worried about the "standard" 4-cylinder engine and its problem to turn on.

Sorry mi inglish

/ Massey Ferguson 130 #6  
Well, go for the 3 cyl Perkins diesel.

/ Massey Ferguson 130 #7  
I wouldn't be too concerned about the Standard 23C 4cyl diesel - they are an indirect-injection engine, which means they usually need a working pre-heater to help with starting, although in warmer climates these engines, if in good condition, start quite well. In colder weather compression, valve clearances and injection pump timing all need to be good. I grew up on a MF35 with a 23C diesel and it was usually unwilling to start up, but a small amount of petrol vapour down the air intake whilst cranking, starting was almost immediate! Once warmed up it was a lot happier, and would and often did run all day, and sometimes well into the night. I currently have a friend's 35 here, and it will start with no help at all, after only around 5 secs cranking. They are an engine which has a very smooth power delivery - I still believe our 35 was able to pull and maintain grip much more smoothly than our 3cyl Perkins-powered 135 diesel. Most times, as is still usually the case, we preferred the 135, but either would do what we needed done. Look after it - it's likely 60 years old now - and it will keep working with you.

/ Massey Ferguson 130
I wouldn't be too concerned about the Standard 23C 4cyl diesel - they are an indirect-injection engine, which means they usually need a working pre-heater to help with starting, although in warmer climates these engines, if in good condition, start quite well. In colder weather compression, valve clearances and injection pump timing all need to be good. I grew up on a MF35 with a 23C diesel and it was usually unwilling to start up, but a small amount of petrol vapour down the air intake whilst cranking, starting was almost immediate! Once warmed up it was a lot happier, and would and often did run all day, and sometimes well into the night. I currently have a friend's 35 here, and it will start with no help at all, after only around 5 secs cranking. They are an engine which has a very smooth power delivery - I still believe our 35 was able to pull and maintain grip much more smoothly than our 3cyl Perkins-powered 135 diesel. Most times, as is still usually the case, we preferred the 135, but either would do what we needed done. Look after it - it's likely 60 years old now - and it will keep working with you.

Hello, what a good answer you gave me thanks!
I really like the 35 and I think I'll go for it next month.
The 35 is complete and running, with its paint dull because it is the factory.
I suspect that you should make adjustments to the engine because smoke comes out of the crankcase breather but the engine sounds great.
I'll tell you how it was!

/ Massey Ferguson 130 #9  

I agree, the Standard 23C is a good engine and I was able to find everything but cam bearings to do a complete overhaul. Mine starts easy when warm. When cold it takes just a 1/2 second squirt of starting fluid to start it right up. (I have been told that excessive application of starting fluid to any diesel will lead to broken piston rings). I have found the 23C engine to be incredible fuel efficient. It will go around 15 hours on 10 gallons of fuel (I use it for fairly light workloads though, mowing, gravel road finishing, etc).

/ Massey Ferguson 130 #10  
I suspect that you should make adjustments to the engine because smoke comes out of the crankcase breather but the engine sounds great.
I'll tell you how it was!

No adjustments will change the smoke (fumes) from the breather. This is an indication of how much of the compression is able to leak past the piston rings. This does not need to be zero, but it becomes an issue when the volume (amount) is significant or indeed excessive because it usually means worn compression rings. Only an engine rebuild will fix this - not impossible, but a sizeable job which has to be done properly by someone who knows what he is doing.

Be sure to check the thermostat in the cooling system is working - or renew it (not a costly part, or a big job) because they usually jam open and nobody notices. This results in a diesel engine running too cold - very painful to a diesel. They need to run around 75-85C (170-185F), otherwise engines wear rapidly. Oil also doesn't warm, resulting in the build-up of sludge and harmful acids.

Don't be frightened to ask about anything you don't understand ... we all want them to keep running well!

Some things to do:
Change the oil and filter as soon as you buy the tractor. Service the oil-bath air filter and check the transmission/hydraulic oil level and condition. Grease ALL points, renew fittings which don't accept grease. Flush out the cooling system, renew the thermostat and fill with fresh coolant.

Keep us updated. And put some pics up so we all can see your new tractor!

Cougsfan, that is indeed correct - excessive starting gas will break rings - I believe it's because they "knock" heavily which hurts them.
Reminds me of, as an apprentice mechanic, overhauling my brother's 35 23C engine in 1981 ... I put liner kits and all bearings except cam bearings in it. To this day that tractor is still running ,and still in the family! Keep yours in good shape ... she will live for a long time yet!