Massey Ferguson 135 engine swap

/ Massey Ferguson 135 engine swap #1  

reazin90

Tractor
8n, Massey Ferguson 135
Hey All, I have a Massey Ferguson 135 with a perkins 152 gasser. I started rebuilding the engine but it had a cracked head and parts were so hard to find. I found a Massey Ferguson 35 with a 152 diesel that spun a bearing. I figured I could use my block and my crank and rebuild it as a diesel. I have been a mechanic for 15 years, and currently build engines for Cummins so I feel very confident on building the engine. However I called my local Ferguson dealer who told me that it would not work. I also inquired about putting a Continental back in my 135 since they were more common and easier to find, which my local dealer also said would not work. I was wondering if anybody else had any other insight on this? Obviously if I switched to a continental I'd have to use different steering parts and all since the tractor would be longer. It was also unclear if I could not do the swap since it was a 135 to a 35, or if the swap wouldn't work because the Perkins gas doesn't fit the Perkins Diesel. Anyways, any insight would be greatly appreciated, or anybody else's personal experience. Thanks in advanced!

/ Massey Ferguson 135 engine swap #2  
Hey All, I have a Massey Ferguson 135 with a perkins 152 gasser. I started rebuilding the engine but it had a cracked head and parts were so hard to find. I found a Massey Ferguson 35 with a 152 diesel that spun a bearing. I figured I could use my block and my crank and rebuild it as a diesel. I have been a mechanic for 15 years, and currently build engines for Cummins so I feel very confident on building the engine. However I called my local Ferguson dealer who told me that it would not work. I also inquired about putting a Continental back in my 135 since they were more common and easier to find, which my local dealer also said would not work. I was wondering if anybody else had any other insight on this? Obviously if I switched to a continental I'd have to use different steering parts and all since the tractor would be longer. It was also unclear if I could not do the swap since it was a 135 to a 35, or if the swap wouldn't work because the Perkins gas doesn't fit the Perkins Diesel. Anyways, any insight would be greatly appreciated, or anybody else's personal experience. Thanks in advanced!

Have you considered just putting in the Perkins 152 diesel? I think they had the same exterior dimensions as the gasser. Most likely the 152 gas block was machined for a gasser and is not interchangeable with diesel block internally. You might be able to find the used complete diesel and rebuild it. You might also be able to find complete used gasser block to rebuild.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 engine swap #3  
   / Massey Ferguson 135 engine swap
Hey, Thanks for responding. There are multiple cracks, and one crack goes up through spark plug hole, so it really won't work. I've found multiple 35's with the 152 perkins diesel, and would rather just rebuild it as a diesel if it would work. I haven't found any 135 diesels in my area that are reasonably priced to do an engine swap. My 135 is in good shape with power steering so that's kinda nice too, more reason to keep the 135.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 engine swap #5  
Hey, Thanks for responding. There are multiple cracks, and one crack goes up through spark plug hole, so it really won't work. I've found multiple 35's with the 152 perkins diesel, and would rather just rebuild it as a diesel if it would work. I haven't found any 135 diesels in my area that are reasonably priced to do an engine swap. My 135 is in good shape with power steering so that's kinda nice too, more reason to keep the 135.

Not surprising that you can't find any 135 diesels on the market. People tend to keep them forever.

Mine was a 1964 MF135 diesel with MultiPower that I bought in 2006 for $3600. Keep it for 9 years and sold it when I sold the ranch last year.

Cracks in a spark plug hole are not a large problem. Weld the crack as best you can and then use a threaded insert.