Dirt Moving Massey Ferguson 255

/ Massey Ferguson 255 #1  

Smokey1986

Tractor
My 2605
I just bought an old 255 but the brakes seem to be locking up. I would appreciate any help with this tooic

/ Massey Ferguson 255 #2  
Pedals sticking down?

/ Massey Ferguson 255
Actually I just had it out again. The brakes lock up and the pedal comes up. They stay locked until you back up.
Thanks for any help.

/ Massey Ferguson 255 #5  
A few questions what will help figure out the problem.

Are the brakes mechanically actuated or hydraulically actuated? I think 255s had both, early production was mechanical and later were hydraulic.

Are the brakes Wet or Dry. I am not sure if that was a option or production run related. Wet brake tractors have five notches in the casting where the rear axle housings bolt on to the differential housing.
Look for the notches on either side of the top link bracket.

/ Massey Ferguson 255
It痴 either a 1975 or 1976. It has dry brakes I知 pretty sure

/ Massey Ferguson 255 #7  
Look at the AGCO parts books website under Guest User to see the parts break down for your tractor.

It is probable that the actuators are gummy and the balls and there ramps are worn and broken springs are possible.

I saw this video awhile ago that is about repairing dry brakes on a MF 165. The 2x5 tractors are very similar. YouTube

/ Massey Ferguson 255 #8  
Actually I just had it out again. The brakes lock up and the pedal comes up. They stay locked until you back up.
Thanks for any help.
Adjust out on your brake rod nuts where they go into the axle housing.