Max load Tandum trailer

/ Max load Tandum trailer #1  

TC33DA

I have a JD 3720 with cab and FEL on order. My 16' trailer has a rating of 7000 pounds. The tractor will come in around 3570# and loader another 1,000#, and then the fluid in the tires 500-750#. I am getting close to 7000# when I add in the trailer weight. What is my safe load weight? I don't want to get half way home and watch the new JD crash.

Thanks

/ Max load Tandum trailer #2  
Without knowing the actual empty weight of the trailer, your only option is to find a local scale (gravel pit, solid waste facility, DOT, etc...) and weigh just the trailer alone. Then you can subtract that weight from the trailer's rated GVWR and you will have the trailer load capacity. Keep in mind if you are getting close to that 7,000lbs with the load and trailer that a good 10-15% of that (700-1,000 lbs) will be on the trucks hitch and not the trailer so you are still safe if properly loaded.

Last edited:
   / Max load Tandum trailer #3  
Dont forget to check your tire pressure.

/ Max load Tandum trailer #4  
The guys gave you great advise. You may also check your title/certificate of origin, many times it will list the empty weight. You are going to be right on the ragged edge and probably a few # over.

I weigh all my trucks, trailers, ect as soon as I get them and keep the weight slip in my glove box. This way I can subtract that weight from the max weight to get the payload.

Chris

/ Max load Tandum trailer #5  
I think you will be too heavy. I just bought a 7k 18' aluminum trailer and that weighs 1205 lbs, giving me a payload of 5795lbs to be legal. If I recall correctly, every 7k steel trailer in 16-18' size I looked at weighed 2000-2200lbs.

Will

/ Max load Tandum trailer #6  
I've seen some 7000 trailers that really look like a few sticks of angle iron welded together. Then some are channel or tube and have a toungue that wraps all the back to nearly the front axle. I wouldn't be afraid to be at 7k on a well built 7k trailer, but all trailers are not the same, even if capacities match. So factor that in as well.

/ Max load Tandum trailer #8  
My 16' steel frame, wood deck car hauler style trailer is 1740# with ramps.. if that helps any.

soundguy

/ Max load Tandum trailer #9  
my buddies 16ft car hauler weighs 1280lbs.....

/ Max load Tandum trailer #10  
my buddies 16ft car hauler weighs 1280lbs.....

Mine is about the same at 1,250# but that does not include the spare that I have added or the winch and tool box on the tongue.

Chris