Metal barn roofing reused as siding?

/ Metal barn roofing reused as siding? #11  
KG, Don't know "ratguard" strips. Could you explain further, or photo? Thanks.

It's just a piece of trim that covers the opening the corrugation makes at the bottom of the sheet.

/ Metal barn roofing reused as siding? #12  
Thanks all! Can always count on you folks... :thumbsup:
If all goes as planned I think I will take the chance on the roofing/siding. It is the "white" roofing, and as my barns are white (I don't expect a match) it should outlive me just fine. As the roof it is coming off of, is no way as large as my barns, I will only be doing a small amount, but that is the most ragged part now, and could use some improvement.
So no one sees any problems with putting right over the existing wooden siding? Just nail it directly? I am familiar with the nail's with rubber washer at head, have been using for repair for years, but is there something better to mount the siding with? Screw's for a screw gun?? Dab of caulk at each hole do you think? How far should it be held off the ground? My planned area to side has a 2" concrete base, but it is mostly right at ground level. (think old hog barn floor). What do you all think about putting a 1X4 horizontally just above ground level, and mounting siding so bottom is pushed out over top of the 1x. Would kick out the bottom to cause drip line instead of dripping on slab.?? Worthwhile ya think?
Thanks for you ideas.
I have only used screws with a rubber washer in all my metal roofing/siding projects. Much easier to tweak if you get off a bit. I have used many sheets of steel on different projects because of that factor.

/ Metal barn roofing reused as siding?
Thanks all,
Will look in to the rat guard edging. Makes sense. So is it just nailed level on the bottom close to ground and siding set on this? Is this correct? Painted or galvanized? Will check it out. :thumbsup:

/ Metal barn roofing reused as siding? #15  
Thanks all,
Will look in to the rat guard edging. Makes sense. So is it just nailed level on the bottom close to ground and siding set on this? Is this correct? Painted or galvanized? Will check it out. :thumbsup:

You've got it. Usually you get it painted to match the siding. It may be available galvanized, but I haven't seen that.

/ Metal barn roofing reused as siding? #16  
Last edited:
   / Metal barn roofing reused as siding? #17  
Just for giggles, on a project I just finished, I tried this instead of traditional rat guard for metal siding on my wife's tack room. It is not as sturdy, but It does give a nice finished look and was cheaper.

1/2 in. x 10 ft. Galvanized L CornerBead-13039 at The Home Depot

I don't think that would work on an exterior application, because water would collect in channel. Also, I'm not sure the galvanizing would be adequate for outside exposure. BUT, it looks like a great idea for an interior application. I've got an interior installation coming up and I think I'll give it a try. Thanks.

/ Metal barn roofing reused as siding? #18  
When I was about 10, my dads chicken house fell victim to a wind storm. It was a commercial growing house, at least 20 years old.
I still remember tearing what was left of the building apart and using the scraps to build a tractor shed for his IH super A.
It was a basic pole barn and the used tin was not only on top but was the siding too. Not covering wood sides , just blocking out old Mother Nature.
I have sealed the old holes (and a few new ones) at least 3 times and "Kool Sealed" the top a few times. The Whole building top and sides gets a fresh coat of Aluminum paint every 10 years or so no matter if it needs it or not.
This was built in 78 or 79 I beleive and it is still a good shed. Don't let a few holes worry ya if the price is right....

/ Metal barn roofing reused as siding? #19  
I significantly upgraded our 20 yr old pole barn last year. It had been open on all sides, but I wanted to store a lot of stuff in there and not have it get stolen, as its near a county road. But still wanted to keep the old rustic look common on the house and barns that are there (most circa 1930s). Framed the old walls and added old tin, along with four big roll up doors. Pretty good set up, and looks cool too.

Attachments

• BRR shop.jpg
    BRR shop.jpg
    526.5 KB · Views: 195