/ MF 1739E - DPF Regen #1  

chidychi

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1739E
Good day,

TL;DR:
My regen light and the hot exhaust light are both on... but the regen doesn't seem to finish. Is my burner toast?

regen.png

Recently I noticed my 1739E start to struggle climbing my driveway. I figured that the hydraulic oil must be do for a change and was the problem ( I was wrong).
I had to do a bunch of PTO wood chipping and noticed that the regen light stayed on while I processed the wood for a couple hours.
That's when I started searching the nets and found this forum. I found this post/thread which showed me the actual problem:
Mf 1739e dpf/eco issues

Change the fuel filter underneath the tractor!!!

Use a carquest filter. Part number 86006.

It was then that I noticed air/vacuum in the fuel filter bowl.
I followed @jimmyhouser 's advice and replaced both the in-line fuel filter (4268939M91) and the fuel filter cartridge (7067436M1). I also replaced the hydraulic oil, engine oil, and coolant.
The tractor is acting as it should now, except the regen doesn't seem to finish.
I've used the tractor for a few hours since changing all the fluids and It's still on a regen.
Is my burner toast? No other lights have come on.
Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
Chris

/ MF 1739E - DPF Regen #2  
Possibly - especially if the small in line filter was plugged up.

/ MF 1739E - DPF Regen #3  
The DPF has to be HOT to burn off accumulated particulates.

On my KUBOTA parked regernation requires 2,200 rpms for 2 - 3 minutes before the DPF gets hot enough to commence regeneration. Then 16 minutes at 2,200 rpms to complete regeneration.

What does your MF 1739 Owner's Manual recommend?

/ MF 1739E - DPF Regen
Oh yea, that small in-line filter was gummed up good. A lot of posts talked about "beeping" and other lights. I don't seem to have any of those beeps or lights.

/ MF 1739E - DPF Regen
The 1739E seems to require rpms over 1800 to burn.
On a good working system, the regen runs every 4 hours or so, and only should take several (20?) minutes or so to regen.

However, mine was starved for diesel fuel to help cool the burner down during regen for a few hours as I used the PTO at roughly 2500 rpm.

This question is regards to damage. If I only have the 2 lights.... did I necessarily damage the system.... or is there still hope (i.e. should I keep using the tractor while it tries for hours to regen).

/ MF 1739E - DPF Regen #6  
Good day,

TL;DR:
My regen light and the hot exhaust light are both on... but the regen doesn't seem to finish. Is my burner toast?

View attachment 815260

Recently I noticed my 1739E start to struggle climbing my driveway. I figured that the hydraulic oil must be do for a change and was the problem ( I was wrong).
I had to do a bunch of PTO wood chipping and noticed that the regen light stayed on while I processed the wood for a couple hours.
That's when I started searching the nets and found this forum. I found this post/thread which showed me the actual problem:
Mf 1739e dpf/eco issues

It was then that I noticed air/vacuum in the fuel filter bowl.
I followed @jimmyhouser 's advice and replaced both the in-line fuel filter (4268939M91) and the fuel filter cartridge (7067436M1). I also replaced the hydraulic oil, engine oil, and coolant.
The tractor is acting as it should now, except the regen doesn't seem to finish.
I've used the tractor for a few hours since changing all the fluids and It's still on a regen.
Is my burner toast? No other lights have come on.
Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
Chris
Do you idle your tractor a lot? Not good for thrm. Keep pto rpm exactly where it should be, avoid idling.

keep us posted.

/ MF 1739E - DPF Regen
Do you idle your tractor a lot? Not good for thrm. Keep pto rpm exactly where it should be, avoid idling.

keep us posted.
ummm... nope. If you are refering to the picture, I was just showing the lights. When I use the PTO for the wood chipper it is around 2500.

I know the cause of the problem I had (gummed up inline fuel filter caused the burner fuel starvation causing overheating).... my question here is if I only have those 2 lights on could I still have melted the burner?

/ MF 1739E - DPF Regen #8  
ummm... nope. If you are refering to the picture, I was just showing the lights. When I use the PTO for the wood chipper it is around 2500.

I know the cause of the problem I had (gummed up inline fuel filter caused the burner fuel starvation causing overheating).... my question here is if I only have those 2 lights on could I still have melted the burner?
Did you ever find the answer to that?

/ MF 1739E - DPF Regen
A few weeks ago I took apart the burner and the DPF filter.
My filter looked fine. I shot some compressed air through the 2 filters and they seemed to allow airflow rather well.

The burner had lots of junk in it.
The ports that the injectors attach to were a little clogged up.
I carefully took it apart and cleaned it with brake cleaner, compressed air, and a blow torch.
The injectors looked fine. But I've run the tractor for several hours and it still won't shut off the regen.
I suspect that my injectors need a cleaning.

When I have time, my next step will be to rig up a can of brake cleaner to the injector inlet and use a battery to open the inlet under pressure from the brake cleaner. There are several youtube videos describing this.
I'm just not sure the best way to do this, as these injectors have a 2nd fuel inlet/outlet that is shared.

It wasn't that hard to access the burner. I would recomment fully disconnecting the Headlights (There is a blue connector on the left side near the bottom of the Engine. You will need to disconnect a zip tie, and free the wire from another tie further up.) Then remove the hood to get good access to the burner. I had to remove the DPF filter in order to remove the burner. The injectors can be removed easily without need of removing the burner or the DPF.

If you have any more questions feel free to shoot me a pm or continue the thread.