MF 1742 Cranks but wont start

/ MF 1742 Cranks but wont start #11  
It's not just smaller tractors, the larger ones are in the same boat. It's not the size that matters, it's the overall concept. Too many signals, too many switches/sensors, far too much wiring, an over rated, over priced computer, and no answers for anything. It happens many times every day, no matter what color machine.

/ MF 1742 Cranks but wont start #12  
Sorry, I'm no help for identify where the priming pump is. Maybe someone could turn the key with you by the engine and try to listen for where the noise is coming from?

/ MF 1742 Cranks but wont start #13  
Here’s a similar issue:

/ MF 1742 Cranks but wont start
Harry, you crack me up. I understand what you are saying but dang it is all I can do just not to say -

"THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!!!!" I agree, it is not the size that matters, its the concept! LOLOLOLOL!!!!

I intend to put maximum effort into this thing today. The weather is favorable, I have all day, and by the end of the day it will either be on a trailer or running. Maybe both. @thclimer, no worries, I have half-a** tried and today, not half-a** trying. It is my strategy to find that pump just for troubleshooting. I did take the flow/psi sensor off the fuel rail, turned the key on, no fuel. Also, used the priming pump there and no fuel.

I took the Bosch "measuring unit" off also, turned the key, no fuel but I was able to get the fuel when actuating the manual priming pump. SO, I believe at this point, a couple of things. I think that there is NO issue with the pick-up out of the tank. I inspected the filters and they are as clean as can be and no evidence of contamination so it rules out the fuel cell and filters. I also believe that because I can manually prime up to the "measuring unit" that there is no component preventing fuel to the main injector pump, like a cutoff valve. However, beyond that, I need to get to the priming pump and identify it that is a failed component OR it is being prevented from running because of the myriad of switches that Harry and I both know are present on these machines.

THe highlighted in the pic is the flow/PSU Sensor on the manifold. You can see the main injecotr pump in the lower right. Sits on a gearbox where you service the oil. The best part about this pic is how it demonstrates how engineers that designed this cearly have never worked on anything beyond a pencil sharpner!

1709988576718.png

/ MF 1742 Cranks but wont start #15  
I just realized that’s a Mitsubishi engine. I didn’t realize AGCO stuck Mitzi’s in some tractor models

Update, I am writing this because this will help someone else. So, my little MF 1742 replicates the same codes that Mitsubishi builds in their ECU. Duh, right? Well, I am saying this because AGCO does not make it very clear and instead of banging your head against the wall trying to figure out the meaning of what is vaguely written in the AGCO manuals, here it is.

1710013406508.png

1710013456843.png

1710013561667.png

Here is the issue... AND if ANYONE knows, please chime in. It says DBV is the pressure limiting valve and I cannot find that term in any of the literature. I THINK that is the same as the "Measuring Unit" on the injector pump itself. Second and last for now, I truly think the ECU needs a computer to reset this thing BECAUSE of what is reflected above. Thoughts if you could please. This helps me THINK. I grew up as a Flight Engineer for 25 years but when we had engine issues we had literature that would tell us EVERYTHING we needed to use critical thinking to solve problems.

Thoughts on this fellas. Do you feel the pressure limiting valve is the same as the measuring unit called out below? I cannot find a pressure limiting valve anywhere in the literature.

1710019180398.png

1710019262145.png

1710019307273.png

Here’s a similar issue:

I saw this also but I am not wanting to pay a tech $150/hour, port to port, just to hook a cell phone up to it to reset. I have ordered a diagnostic reader that I SHOULD be able to reset myself. JUST the travel to and from my farm will cost me roughly $450 and that I am not going to do. I appreciate that feed though because there is come value there. CHEERS DARKBLACK!!!!

Last Post here about the issue of helping prevent someone else from a headache and just get to the solution.

Indeed this is an issue with the 1700 series tractors. Unless you are in the state of Colorado, plan on taking it to the dealer to get the ECU cleared of the fault. Within 10 minutes of getting my machine to the dealer, the fault was cleared and the machine was running as normal. ALSO, AGCO recommends in the secret squirrel website of theirs to recommend to the customer that a time delay should be install for the seat kill switch. SO, for me, I will never bypass that switch because of the nature of my farm and you just never know on hills. Certainly do not want the machine to keep running in the event of a roll over.

I even bought a diagnostic tool that had the ability to reset faults and it would not reset this. I am not sure how they have the ECU programmed but it sure seems like a class action cases much like Deere had. Literally 10 minutes to get the machine running and had to take it to them. I mentioned Colorado because they will loan the equipment out. All other states, the way it was explained to me is possible but the customer will have to pay for the license fee of the software for the month, which I was told is $3,000. THEN to take the computer system from the dealer, they charge you the cost of that equipment until returned. I was told that cost was near $10K. SO, that is the deal and the end of my story.

I paid a roll back to come get the machine and cost me $100 to get the machine to the nearest dealer. Seat switch time delay relay was $280, and another $100 to get back to the farm and done. $480 for something that AGCO Engineering should have made standard out of the factory!

CHEERS!

/ MF 1742 Cranks but wont start #20  
Glad you got it fixed and thanks for posting back with the fix, we have a MF 1750M but hope I never need to haul it to the dealer.