MF 231 power steering heavy/ sluggish

/ MF 231 power steering heavy/ sluggish #1  

Grant31781

Tractor
MF 231
The power steering on my MF231 has been heavy and sluggish feeling. Today I removed the pump and changed the filter and refilled wiht new fluid. The old fluid wasnt that bad. The filter did look dirty. Unfortunately this did not help the PS at all.

Any other things to check?

/ MF 231 power steering heavy/ sluggish #2  
I don' know but I have the same issue on a Kubota. All sorts of things have been suggested -- obstructions in the lines or fittings, worn out steering valve at the steering wheel base, the steering cylinder(s),maladjusted relief valve causing low fluid pressure, etc, etc.

/ MF 231 power steering heavy/ sluggish #3  
The power steering is activated by a control valve mounted on the steering column. It is activated by the movement of the steering input shaft (steering wheel) up and down. Be sure the linkage is is free and not rusted tight and is activated when you turn the wheel. Also check the pins in the linkage to be sure they are not worn excessively.
Does the relief valve squeal when the steering is turned to the max right and left? Or even when trying to steer?
Jack up the front of the tractor. Does it now turn easier?
Be sure the spindle have been greased and are not tight. Also check the thrust bearing in the bottom of each spindles.
The cylinders may have the piston seals in need or replacement as they may be leaking
Install a Tee in the pressure line and check the pressure of the system operating and the relief valve pressure.

/ MF 231 power steering heavy/ sluggish #4  
It could be the power steering control valve. Check for leaks everywhere in the power steering system. There is a video on YouTube by “BUTTEWORKS” on how to rebuild the cylinders and control valve. The part number for the control valve rebuild kit is Sparex S.6380 and you can find it on Amazon. I just bought the kit for my 1998 MF 231.
You can go to www.AgcoPartsBooks.com and look up part numbers for free for your tractor, or message me back and I can help you find what you’re looking for.
The 231 is a very good, strong and reliable tractor. I’ve had mine for 18 years.