MF 50 Multipower

/ MF 50 Multipower #1  

rleelynch

Tractor
massey ferguson 50
Hey guys I am new to the site. I just purchased a 1962 Massey Ferguson 50. It needed some work to get it running. Once I got it home I got it running by priming the injector pump. Then I changed all the fluids and all the hoses. I ran it around the yard and fields. The multipower linkage was disconnected and it was in low. I took a pair of needle nose pliers and switched it to high. High worked for about 20 min then it shifted back to low on its own and stayed. The weep hole in the front of the transmission is leaking transmssion fluid. What could be causing the leak and can the multipower be fixed? Sorry for the long back story and thanks for your help.

/ MF 50 Multipower #2  
It can be fixed, however rather expensive, It was probably disconnected because it was out or going out. Lots of them running on the low side only. Ken Sweet

/ MF 50 Multipower
Does anyone know where I should look for the leak? Is it definately the multipower leaking (since it doesnt work) or could it be the main seal for the trans? Is there a seal that goes bad on the front of the multipower unit?

/ MF 50 Multipower #4  
It's not going to be a quick easy fix thats for sure.Inside the bellhousing there's actually a hyd control valve.Now to say whats leaking you won't know untill you actually split the tractor and have a look inside the bellhousing. There's hyd lines that run to the control valve as well as fittings any one can be loose,as well as the lines can be leaking.Another problem was on the valve's housing where it fits over the main trans shaft etc: it has some internal metal rings[almost like a piston ring]the rings are actually joined together at the ends almost like a notch in each end of the ring to keep them from spreading apart to allow installation.What happens is that eventually the rings wear down and can't expand far enough to keep a proper seal.Thats when oil starts bypassing.Most times it also wears the housing as well.So yes it can be fixed but its costly.Larry

/ MF 50 Multipower #5  
We had a gentleman in the community that would take out the multipower and weld something together inside so you only had the low side. He charged $175 for this process. We had him to fix dozens for us back years ago. He has Alzheimers now and is not doing good at all. Ken Sweet

/ MF 50 Multipower #6  
G'day have had one leaking and not changing for me a few years ago and found the bolt that the operating arm for the m/p valve works on had come out. I was able to see this through the inspection cover on the bottom of the bellhousing, if you look up at the top left hand side of the trans through this hole you should see the valve, tried for two hours to get that b!@#$%d back in got it started but then could not get anything on it to tighten it:mad::mad: so had to split it , this was on a 165 so had it apart, tightened said bolt and back together in 2 1/2 hours, should have done that for a start:ashamed:. Hope your prob turns out to be something as simple because as others have said m/p repairs are costly and from memory some parts are getting hard to come by.

Jon