MF GC2610 power steering issue.

/ MF GC2610 power steering issue. #11  
by no power steering do you mean the steering is very hard to turn or the front wheels don't turn no matter what?

Very hard to turn is usually a flow shortage to the steering circuit. Does the steering effort change with wheels off the ground?

Air in the cylinder should not change how easy the steering wheel turns. It will make the steering cylinder mushy and potentially jumpy but turning lock to lock a few times will remove the vast majority of the air.

/ MF GC2610 power steering issue.
I can turn wheels on the ground but it is difficult. Like no power steering. If I raise front axle, front wheels off ground. There is barely any change at all. It's not jumpy or have that air bound feel. There is no whining from the pump and also no real load on engine when trying to turn wheels on or off the ground.
Asking the previous owner if it happens gradually or all at once is a good idea. However I expect that person to he had no idea he barely used it anymore and that's why he sold it.

/ MF GC2610 power steering issue. #13  
Parts are expensive. They are normally repaired, not replaced. The steering controller is probably a Sauer-Danfoss https://assets.danfoss.com/documents/DOC152886482744/DOC152886482744.pdf. Get the part number off the unit to be certain. Seal kits are a lot less than new parts.
Another thread on steering, but more dealing with leaks.
https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/massey-ferguson-owning-operating/123494-how-repair-leak-gc2310.html
Ordering the part from the manufacturer can also be a lot less than from MF.

My way of looking at things. If I can take it off, and repair it, I'm a genius. If my repair doesn't work, then the unit was obviously frakked, and nothing I could have done would have fixed it.
If you decide not to do the work yourself,(when you determine the faulty part), find a hydraulic shop. Dealerships will be busy with farmers getting repairs for harvest equipment, unlikely it would be a priority.

Agreed. Thanks for the info on the manufacturer. I definitely am capable of repairing this on my own but I don't know the specs for pressure and flow at the different point in the system to diag it correctly the first time. As these part are expensive, I don't want to throw parts at it. From what I gather, there's basically 4 parts to this system. The valve body, steering column, steering cylinder, and hoses. Only the valve body and cylinder are able to be rebuilt.
I am taking to dealer on Monday for them to diag for me then I will take it from there. From a cost stand point I hope they say it is the cylinder or valve body so I can rebuild it.

/ MF GC2610 power steering issue. #15  
Does this have a pump dedicated to steering or is this like Kubota BX with a single pump and priority flow control for steering? If priority flow control these can fail preventing flow to steering.

/ MF GC2610 power steering issue. #16  
Does this have a pump dedicated to steering or is this like Kubota BX with a single pump and priority flow control for steering? If priority flow control these can fail preventing flow to steering.
Single pump with priority flow

/ MF GC2610 power steering issue. #18  
OP said he removed pressure line to steering control unit, had flow, removed line to steering cylinder, had flow. So now I think he's gone to get a pressure gauge.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to everyone. I took the tractor to the deal as they had the flow and pressure gauges needed to figure this out. The dealer got me right in and found the issue to be a bad steering column. although they said that this is a rare part to fail, they said that this tractors hydraulic system experienced high temps. guessing that maybe maintenance was not done or maybe 3-point hitch lever got stuck in up position and the operator didn't know. We don't know, just guessing. Any way with that being the most expensive part, i decide to take poster DMW advice and went to the manufacture of the steering column itself. i found that this is rebuild able however when i took this unit apart i found evidence that some one was inside this before. ah-ha i said, I found little pieces missing completely, and others put back together wrong. I contacted a hydraulic co. that deals with this manufacture and decided to order a new one considering that from them the price was less than half from MF dealer. Only issue is that there is a 9 week lead time before this part will ship from Danfoss. with a price difference of more than $600, i decided to wait the 9 weeks and order it. Thank you DMW for that link you gave to me, that became very useful, Thanks.

/ MF GC2610 power steering issue. #20  
Good to hear the problem is diagnosed. Careful ordering the new valve. there are at least 4 different shaft connections available (splined/keyed, etc.) This also may be a reason to use a high quality hydro oil, and not a house brand. While you have the valve out, take the opportunity to put some dielectric grease on all the dash electrical connectors. The GC2300s are starting to have corrosion issues. The rubber isolation mounts may also have to be replaced. DF shaft.jpg