MF starting problem

/ MF starting problem #1  

9Cowboy

Tractor
2012 Massey 1532L syncro shuttle fwd
Hello, I have a 2015 Massey 1532 4x4 tractor. have had it since new and never had an issue. Recently I tried to start it and the engine would turn over but acted like it was out of fuel. I figured out the solenoid on the high pressure side of the fuel pump was not retracting the plunger to allow pump to send fuel to injectors. I replaced the solenoid (with OEM) and began to prime the fuel system, turned engine over a few times. about the third time I turned ignition nothing happened. the low pressure fuel pump was not activating, no glow plugs, no starter engaging. The only thing I heard was the click of the high pressure solenoid> I could hear the plunger retract but only for a few second, it should stay retracted until engine is turned off. I had a mobile mechanic recommended by MF dealer come try to figure out the problem. He checked all safety switches, relays, ignition switch and could not figure it out. it stills just momentarily engages high pressure solenoid. the engine will turn over by shorting starter, all lights work also. Im stumped. Any suggestions or ideas? Whoever helps me figure it out Ill send a gift card to your favorite Steak House ! LOL.

/ MF starting problem #2  
this is for the no crank but will crank by shorting starter statement.
got many hours on a 2012 MF1532 but its up the road and I don't have the manual here.....but iirc the start circuit (when key turned all the way) has a fusible link (wire type) on the key signal wire to solenoid. ignition switch will test good at the switch on all points, just the signal never makes it to solenoid.
course if he tested switch AT solenoid end then ignore this.

Last edited:
   / MF starting problem #3  
This may be an extremely simplistic suggestion, but maybe the battery is simply bad enough to not work properly (but good enough for cranking, etc). Try a brand new battery, check the connections, etc. Even if that ends up not being the issue, at least it’s been ruled out.

/ MF starting problem #4  
I know you say he checked the relay but sounds like a bad starter relay if you bypass and the engine rolls over. That also tells me battery is on probably ok.

/ MF starting problem #5  
I know you say he checked the relay but sounds like a bad starter relay if you bypass and the engine rolls over. That also tells me battery is on probably ok.
good catch I totally forgot to mention that.

/ MF starting problem #6  
Yeah, all those are good comments. Regardless of the assumed (or even tested) battery condition, try jumping it with a very strong battery or good charger. That will put slightly more than 12v on the cables and may overcome the serial set of small voltage drops at each safety interconnect (like seat, PTO, etc.) If that works clean, wire brush or sandpaper and reattach/tighten every possible connection (like the cable to the frame, battery terminals, etc.) Since jumping to the starter 'works' you are possibly not getting quite as much voltage as you need for the solenoid to make connection for the starter.

/ MF starting problem
Thanks for the responses, He used a test light that he could apply current through the probe. I did the cleaning terminals and such. With his test light connected to tractor battery(it has been on charger during the process) he could get the low pressure fuel pump to work , the starter to turn over. Everything worked when bypassed with test light. Whatever the issue is it occurred suddenly. Literally about a minute in between key turns.