MF vs. JD

/ MF vs. JD #1  

HobbleCreek

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4720
Don't anybody believe me when I say that I've made up my mind until the tractor is actually discing my field. I have at various times over the last few weeks been convinced I'm buying a Deere, then a Kubota, back to Deere, maybe the Kubota, back to Deere, what about a New Holland, back to Deere, etc. Today I checked our local paper and found a MF 481 for about the same price as I'm looking to spend on a JD 4720.

The 481 is quite a bit bigger tractor, which would be good for some of my uses. However, when comparing against the 5225, I was pretty sure I would be happier with the smaller size and the eHydro transmission. Of course, that 5225 came with a 10K higher price tage and no gain in HP. The MF 481 adds nothing to the price (it's used with 16.5 hrs) and has a measurable hp advantage. Even after accounting for the effect of elevation on the Massey's normally aspirated engine, it has around 7 hp (engine and PTO) more than the 4720.

So . . . any thoughts from the gang on the difference in reliability (and other differences) between these two tractors? I have dealers for both very nearby, so I should get decent support either way.

Emotionally, I'm a fan of both brands. Growing up Grandpa had two MF 165s in addition to the Deere. All three are still running.

-- Grant

/ MF vs. JD #2  
Basically, as far as reliability and an excellent track record go, you will not go wrong with either. I faced the same dillema when tractor shopping. I went with more power b/c I would rather have power left over than not enough. See if the dealers will let you demo the tractors for a day. That may be just what you need to make your decision.

/ MF vs. JD #3  
I would be more concerned about what "size" tractor fit the best rather than brand(between red and green). A tractor thats too large and heavy is as bad as one thats too light and underpowered. My rebuilt MF 1130 (18K lbs and 120 pto hp) wasn't too good at moving hay bales around muddy feeding areas. Ever seen 3ft deep ruts? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif It sure pulls a disc and batwing mower well though! I bought a MF 491 4wd to do my hay work and general utility work and could not be happier. I my area, the Red tractors(though more basic- transmission/style) were considerably cheaper($ per hp) than the Green. With good dealers near, i would consider size/weigth and $/feature and pick either red or green. Good luck!

/ MF vs. JD #4  
For us sentimentalists, if the equipment does what you want, sometimes there's some satisfaction is using what Dad or Grandpa used. Hate to admit it, but I buy Ford trucks just because Daddy did /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif How's that for some high tech analysis? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ MF vs. JD
If I wasn't a sentimentalist, I would sell the property, sell the horses, and completely bag the who tractor thing. To me, the whole thing is all about emotion. I was sitting on the fender of Grandpa's John Deere while he baled hay when the a.m. radio on the other fender announced that Elvis was dead. My dad died sitting in his tractor seat and, although it was way too early in his very young life, I do not think he would have wanted to be any other place. Fortunately for me, I have fond memories of red and green.

Thanks for your reminder, however, that bigger isn't necessarily better. Size does matter -- but it's not necessarily bigger is better. My tractor will have to be a jack of all trades and what that probably means is that it will take me longer to do some tasks that a larger tractor would handle better in exchange for being small and nimble enough to accomplish some of the others.

Thanks for that post.

-- Grant

/ MF vs. JD #6  
We are on the same sheet of music. Lost my Pop a couple of years ago after an 8 year tour with Alzheimers. Think he had it longer than that because he tore up everything he had and let the place go. I ended up with the farm and wouldn't consider selling it--after they kick dirt in my face it won't matter. Anyway, I even hate to move the old equipment because its where he parked it.

Drive on brother. And thanks for your thoughts also.