MF1020 Radiator Fluid Leak Behind Fan - Please Help.

/ MF1020 Radiator Fluid Leak Behind Fan - Please Help. #1  

paatchen

Tractor
MF1020
Thank you for any help you might have.

I recently had the radiator repaired on a 1020 I just picked up. That is doing great but there seems to be a leak (appears to be radiator fluid) come from right behind the fan. It looks like it is coming out right in the middle of the fan.

I am not very knowledgeable about motors but what is the name of the part the fan attaches to? It appears to have at least one of the coolants lines running into it. The lines look good but I dont know if there is a crack in that piece or now. Or if the fan hold fluid in somehow because it is a loose if I wiggle it back and forth (meaning the whole pulley is loose).

Thanks so much!

/ MF1020 Radiator Fluid Leak Behind Fan - Please Help. #2  
That's your water pump.

If it's the fan/pully shaft itself that's sloppy, that's probably where your leak is coming from.

/ MF1020 Radiator Fluid Leak Behind Fan - Please Help. #3  
Ditto.

If it's like most water pumps I'm familiar with, since there's no way to actually see inside it, they put a "weep hole" in the front bushing area of the pump, right behind the fan.

If the seal in the pump begins to let go, you'll be able to see the fluid dripping out --sort of a tell-tale-- so you'll be able to replace it before it fails altogether and damages the engine.

With a mirror and a flashlight, you should be able to see it on the underside of the front face of the pump.

Probably, your newly repaired radiator is maintaining pressure better than it did before, causing the pump leak to show up.

/ MF1020 Radiator Fluid Leak Behind Fan - Please Help. #4  
If you can wiggle the fan shaft, then you will need to replace the water pump. TOO bad you didnt notice this when you had the radiator out> Now you will need to drain all your coolant and remove the radiator to replace the water pump. You can do it your self if you are even a little bit inclined. be sure to mark where each bolt comes from when disassembling. Some times there are varying bolt lenghts on these things and the bolts must go back in the same spot for all of them to tighten properly. Also make sure you remove all of the old gasket and compound so you have a good clean surface to mount the new pump. You will likely need some gasket compound to hold the gaskets in place as you are trying to put the new pump on. Form-a-gasket works good for this.

/ MF1020 Radiator Fluid Leak Behind Fan - Please Help.
Thanks guys so much. This is a major help. I was getting totally frustrated because I could see fluid dripping but could not tell where it was coming from.

This is a secondary question and I posted about it but no one answered, but do you all know what size the plug is on the transmission fluid reservoir for the 1020? They guy I bought it from had a dang plug like you would use in an old john boat gas tank and that thing came loose last night. I would like a more permanent fix. Thanks so much again!

Alright, I took it apart and the water pump was definitely bad. The turbine wiggled like a loose tooth. I found one in stock at Godley Auction here in Charlotte. New Aftermarket. By the way, incase I am the only one that didnt know about this...they directed me to Agco Parts book at AGCO Parts Books .

For free, as guest user actually, you can find schematics of tractor for free. I was able to print the water pump assembly and parts list up. They have parts numbers too.

/ MF1020 Radiator Fluid Leak Behind Fan - Please Help. #7  
Alright, I took it apart and the water pump was definitely bad. The turbine wiggled like a loose tooth. I found one in stock at Godley Auction here in Charlotte. New Aftermarket. By the way, incase I am the only one that didnt know about this...they directed me to Agco Parts book at AGCO Parts Books .

For free, as guest user actually, you can find schematics of tractor for free. I was able to print the water pump assembly and parts list up. They have parts numbers too.

The only thing is you have to be on Internet Explorer to get on. I think that sucks:mad:

I totally agree. But it makes it a heck of a lot easier calling with a part number.
I am almost a pure Chrome user, but I make the change when it comes time to use agco.