MF1250 PTO just stopped working

/ MF1250 PTO just stopped working #1  

MF231owner

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 231
Was engaged brush hogging and just stopped spinning. I had been doing some thick stuff earlier in the day but at the time it was mostly just broom straw.

Light is on just no rotation.

It's the compact 34HP 1250.

What should I be testing first to troubleshoot it?

/ MF1250 PTO just stopped working #2  
Look for the wire to the PTO solenoid valve to have pulled loose while out in your "thick stuff". Valve is under the right side floor plate area. Square looking block with a solenoid coil on one side.

/ MF1250 PTO just stopped working
Looks like maybe wire was connected somewhere and the end snapped off. I don't see where it was attached though.

Attachments

• 20240321_141426.jpg
    20240321_141426.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
Found it. Should I throw some tape on that connection so it doesn't unhook again? Or is it easier to plug that back in vs having the wires ripped out....?

Attachments

• 20240321_142701.jpg
    20240321_142701.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
   / MF1250 PTO just stopped working #5  
Your choice here. You can try to anchor the wires better so it's harder for stuff to snag it, make some sort of protective cover or guard, or simply stay out of the "thick stuff". Unfortunately most of these tractors really aren't built for what many people put them through. Wires, hoses, steel lines, filters, etc, are all vulnerable to being damaged, broken, and even outright ripped off by the "stuff" people run through and/or over.

Your choice here. You can try to anchor the wires better so it's harder for stuff to snag it, make some sort of protective cover or guard, or simply stay out of the "thick stuff". Unfortunately most of these tractors really aren't built for what many people put them through. Wires, hoses, steel lines, filters, etc, are all vulnerable to being damaged, broken, and even outright ripped off by the "stuff" people run through and/or over.

Yea I'm sure I'm pushing it a bit. The field I was in had a few things that were pinky sized and knee high. I've cut some 2" sumac trees with it it but always back over those so I don't expose the lines to abuse.

Ironic that it went down on the easy stuff. I'll get some zip ties and try to tighten things up down there.