MF135 - Gears and PTO

/ MF135 - Gears and PTO #1  

1968 MF135

Tractor
MF135 1968
Hi All,

Quick couple of questions regarding the PTO operation on my 1968 MF135 (Diesel) which is still quite new to me.

1) My pto selection lever seems very short - the end of it is just behind the handbrake operating mechanism link - meaning I have to stop and lean over to select / deselect the PTO - is this the way it is meant to be? or is there a part of the selection lever missing?

2) I seem to recall reading somewhere (or have I dreamt it?) that whith the pto engaged that the tractor should not be reversed or it will reverse the pto rotation and thus potentially damage things - is this correct? or can I lift my flail slightly while it is still running and reverse the tractor round trees to line up for the next pass?

Many Thanks

/ MF135 - Gears and PTO #2  
Never seen a tractor whose pto runs in reverse when the tractor backs up. The lever on the old Ford 2N was about 6" long with a small ball on the end of it. If the ball is missing perhaps it broke off and that's why it seems so short.

/ MF135 - Gears and PTO
The attached photo shows where the pto lever is in relation to the handbrake rod: WP_20170613_13_51_36_Pro.jpg

/ MF135 - Gears and PTO #4  
Hi All,

Quick couple of questions regarding the PTO operation on my 1968 MF135 (Diesel) which is still quite new to me.

1) My pto selection lever seems very short - the end of it is just behind the handbrake operating mechanism link - meaning I have to stop and lean over to select / deselect the PTO - is this the way it is meant to be? or is there a part of the selection lever missing?

2) I seem to recall reading somewhere (or have I dreamt it?) that whith the pto engaged that the tractor should not be reversed or it will reverse the pto rotation and thus potentially damage things - is this correct? or can I lift my flail slightly while it is still running and reverse the tractor round trees to line up for the next pass?

Many Thanks

It may go reverse rotation IF you have 'ground speed pto' selected on the PTO shift face plate. I believe it can shift one way for 'engine' and the other for 'ground.' Choose engines and you can go sideways, reverse and forward just fine. I never tried vertical or upside down tractor operation.

/ MF135 - Gears and PTO #5  
   / MF135 - Gears and PTO #6  
Ground speed PTO does go backwards in reverse. MF industrial tractors with Instant Reverse torque converter transmissions will turn backwards in reverse but it's not common for these tractors to have a PTO.