Tires MF165 Master Brake Latches

/ MF165 Master Brake Latches #1  

denniswimer

Tractor
MF 165
Maybe a stupid question, but, I have read the manuals and cannot find the procedure for disengaging the master brake latch, so left/right sides operate independently. There is a rod connecting both brake pedals, but, I do not see how to disconnect the pedals to allow independent braking. Please advise.

/ MF165 Master Brake Latches
Additional information from Operators Manual and live image from my tractor:

Brake Pedals (Fig 2).pngBrake Pedals Text.pnglivepedalimage.jpg

The image from the Operators Manual seems to show some sort of 'lever' that may be pulled out to disengage engagement of both pedals. However, the image of my pedals does not seem to have any lever that can be pulled out. Perhaps I should remove the split pin and somehow manually force the bar to be removed, either pushing from the back? Hopefully, someone can provide guidance and, maybe, pictures of what I should be seeing.

/ MF165 Master Brake Latches #3  
G'day the pin in your photo should have a pin at right angles to the latching pin and the latching pin should move from right to left in your photo might be rusted up if it hasn't been moved for a while

Jon

Thanks, Jon, for the response. There is no latch/handle on the latching pin (previous owner must have broken it off). Hence, I will need to remove/replace the latching pin (grin). Considering this, I have a follow-up question ... does the pin have threads on the right brake pedal ... or, can this pin be driven/pushed out? I assume the pin can actually be cut between the brake pedals, allowing independent braking again.

Jon,

Thanks for your assistance. The issue is resolved ... at least as far as getting the brakes to function independently. Because the latch was sheared off inside the hole, it was necessary to cut pieces off and push the pin through a little at a time until the entire pin was removed. There is very little room to shove the pin out on the tractor side and I could not figure out how to place any sort of tool that would allow pushing toward the outside (only about 1-1/2 inches). In any event, the initial problem is resolved. When removing the pin, I noticed there was a spring of some sort on the outside latch side. I have not figured out if the spring was part of the latch itself or was somehow part of the pedal (right). If you know of any resource that might explain this brake interlock latch, I would appreciate the direction (not in any of the manuals I have for the MF165). Again, thanks for all the assistance.