mf230 slow turning over

/ mf230 slow turning over #1  

ontarioboy

Tractor
MF230
can't get my tractor to start. just replaced the starter motor. it is spinning but not wanting to hook up with the fly wheel. when it does hook up with the fly wheel it's rolling really slow. Any ideas folks? does anyone know how I can manually turn the fly wheel to make sure the engine is not seized? I'm new to tractors so any help would be appreciated. Oh also the battery was week so I hooked it up to my running truck and the jumper cable clamp on the hot side at my truck started smoking.

/ mf230 slow turning over #2  
I’d start with a brand new battery; may solve your issues. If not, no harm in having a new battery.

/ mf230 slow turning over #3  
"..the jumper cable clamp on the hot side at my truck started smoking." Regardless of whatever else is going on, THAT shouldn't be happening! Hooked up wrong?? Cheap cables??

/ mf230 slow turning over #4  
I have noticed that many jumper cables on the market now days are only #10 wire with a whole bunch of plastic on them to look larger and the clamps are actually light duty with conductivity on only one side.
If your tractor battery was low and trying to crank with the cables hooked up you were likely pulling over a 100 amps through that cable it would be smoking.
Slow cranking is often poor cable connections and ground connections and or a weak battery.
If the tractor in question is the MF230 and you can find someone to help tow start it.
If it cranks over at all with the starter it's not locked up or seized.

/ mf230 slow turning over #5  
Jumper cables - any jumper cables - off a second battery may not be enough to start a diesel with a bad battery. Take your tractor battery into a battery shop for a load test. If you want to rotate the engine you can put a socket and breaker bar on the nut at the front of the crankshaft. Just don't leave it there when you activate the starter.

/ mf230 slow turning over #6  
can't get my tractor to start. just replaced the starter motor. it is spinning but not wanting to hook up with the fly wheel. when it does hook up with the fly wheel it's rolling really slow. Any ideas folks? does anyone know how I can manually turn the fly wheel to make sure the engine is not seized? I'm new to tractors so any help would be appreciated. Oh also the battery was week so I hooked it up to my running truck and the jumper cable clamp on the hot side at my truck started smoking.
Battery cables are cheapest and most likely the problem. Start there and then work your way to the expensive stuff.

/ mf230 slow turning over #7  
Have you made sure wiggle pin is tight and wobble shaft has good lubrication?

/ mf230 slow turning over #8  
A long time ago I realized the best way to get a decent set of jumpers is to go to a parts place that caters to professionals (NAPA, etc) and get cables there. Stay away from big box stores. There's a lot of garbage out there.

Also -- not sure if it applies in your case, but check the ground strap or cable -- it should go from somewhere on the block to the frame. If that has a poor connection it'll block a lot of current from an otherwise OK battery from getting out (or in during charging, for that matter). On my 2310 my ground cable had cracked, one strand at a time, until it finally broke altogether... of course, during a big snowstorm. After it was replaced, my old battery acted like it was brand new. (I'm still running on the original --2007, with 900 hrs-- battery.)

/ mf230 slow turning over #9  
A long time ago I realized the best way to get a decent set of jumpers is to go to a parts place that caters to professionals (NAPA, etc) and get cables there. Stay away from big box stores. There's a lot of garbage out there.

Also -- not sure if it applies in your case, but check the ground strap or cable -- it should go from somewhere on the block to the frame. If that has a poor connection it'll block a lot of current from an otherwise OK battery from getting out (or in during charging, for that matter). On my 2310 my ground cable had cracked, one strand at a time, until it finally broke altogether... of course, during a big snowstorm. After it was replaced, my old battery acted like it was brand new. (I'm still running on the original --2007, with 900 hrs-- battery.)

When I first got my 231S used, it had enough battery to spin and start the Perkins. Some time after that, the battery would not deliver enough current to spin the starter with enough vigor due to a worn alternator.

When this happens, the current demand skyrockets and voltage drops causing all kinds of problems in the high current wiring (battery cables). Jumper cables usually have poor connections and limited current capability when attempting to jump a high demand starter as in a diesel engine application. But, these jumper cables work find for automobiles with half the current demand of your Perkins.

My suggestion is get a good smart battery charger and keep your MF on charge when not in use. My MF sat all winter with the charger connected. Yesterday, the Perkins fired when the first cylinder reached TDC, typical for the Perkins 3 cylinder diesel engine.

Of course, check and clean all battery connections. Also, check alternator voltage with the engine running and confirm 14VDC or greater at the battery posts.

A good battery on a smart charger will last for many years. My BMW motorcycle battery is 10 years old and is still like new. Of course, it is always on a charger when I'm not riding.