Oil & Fuel MF240 Perkins Fuel Leak at Filter

/ MF240 Perkins Fuel Leak at Filter #1  

Blunderbore

Bronze Member
Tractor
1993 MF240 w/ 2400QT FEL
I am relatively new to tractors and diesel engines... I bought this MF a few years ago and have only put on ~20 hours.

I recently replaced the fuel filter and O-rings on my MF240 and it is still leaking. It drips once every 10-15 seconds. It appears to leak at the top and bottom of the glass bowl. I don't want to over tighten the bolt and I already have it pretty snug. Any suggestions on how to stop the leaking? Maybe a little RTV?

image4.jpeg

I replaced the filter and added a "pre filter" to see what was clogging up my lines. I can't tell if it is rust or microbes. After thoroughly cleaning the glass bowl, replacing the filter and adding Sta-Bil to the tank I have not had any further problems with fuel blockages.

Thanks for the input!

image5.jpeg
image6.jpeg

/ MF240 Perkins Fuel Leak at Filter #2  
Most likely the O rings. Did you replace them or use the old ones? They need to be seated just right and the whole thing needs to be done up reasonably tight.
Failing that, you might try a different brand of filter such as a genuine Perkins which aren't expensive. That way you are sure the filter and O rings it comes with are exactly the right size.

/ MF240 Perkins Fuel Leak at Filter
Most likely the O rings. Did you replace them or use the old ones? They need to be seated just right and the whole thing needs to be done up reasonably tight.
Failing that, you might try a different brand of filter such as a genuine Perkins which aren't expensive. That way you are sure the filter and O rings it comes with are exactly the right size.

Thank you for the reply. I did replace all the o-rings. I believe I had them in there correctly. I can try do redo it and snug it down a little more.

/ MF240 Perkins Fuel Leak at Filter #4  
In the first picture, the middle O ring looks like it is rising up at the front. If that's not just an optical illusion, it either means it's not seated correctly/evenly or it's been made too big or the filter is slightly too small.
The filter needs to sit on top of the O ring, not within it (see pic), if it doesn't, even when the O ring is seated evenly, then it wasn't made right.
Plus your filter seems to have a squared bottom not rounded, which would make sealing more difficult anyway.

View attachment 444100

In the first picture, the middle O ring looks like it is rising up at the front. If that's not just an optical illusion, it either means it's not seated correctly/evenly or it's been made too big or the filter is slightly too small.
The filter needs to sit on top of the O ring, not within it (see pic), if it doesn't, even when the O ring is seated evenly, then it wasn't made right.
Plus your filter seems to have a squared bottom not rounded, which would make sealing more difficult anyway.

View attachment 444100

The ridge of the filter sits more inside the o ring and seals on the "lip".

By any chance do you have the part number for the Perkins filter? If not I can try and google it.

Thanks!

/ MF240 Perkins Fuel Leak at Filter #7  
Just saw a pic of the underside of yours and it looks the same as the Perkins, so I would try re-seating and trying to line them up again....may take a few goes but yours should fit. The O ring sits partially under and partially outside the filter....if its not partially under all the way round, it wont compress/seal.

Last edited:
Just saw a pic of the underside of yours and it looks the same as the Perkins, so I would try re-seating and trying to line them up again....may take a few goes but yours should fit. The O ring sits partially under and partially outside the filter....if its not partially under all the way round, it wont compress/seal.

Thanks for the info!

If I find some time this weekend I will reseat the filter and if that doesn't work I will order the Perkins filter.