Comparison MF2706E vs MF1759

/ MF2706E vs MF1759 #1  

MarkGrabb

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1759
I am trying to decide between a Massey Ferguson 2706E and the Massey Ferguson 1759. 2706E is more of a basic tractor at a significantly lower price. The 2706E doesn't have a DPF compared to the 1759.
One major difference is the main clutch... wet multi-disc for the 1759 and single dry for the more basic 2706E. There are many other differences.

We have a little over 22 acres of pure farm land... I plan to use a two bottom plow, rotary tiller, bush hog, etc... constantly need to get softball to bowling ball sized rocks, which I will pick by hand and put in the bucket.

We grow garlic, pumpkins, and all sorts of veggies... as well as berries.. and we are adding a small orchard.... we have about 100 chickens for eggs.

My other options are the Deere 4066M powershuttle to compete with the MF1759 and the Mahindra 5570 to compete with the MF1759.

The local sales rep for Massey is top notch... extremely responsive and helpful... which has me leaning Massey - but still open minded for another couple of weeks.... then we will make a decision.

Any insights along these lines of tractors will be greatly appreciated.

/ MF2706E vs MF1759 #2  
What price are they quoting on the 2706e? I've narrowed myself down to Branson because they have no DPF, just catalyst. The lack of a DPF has me looking in the direction of a MF.

/ MF2706E vs MF1759
How much will the DPF cost down the road in service versus a tractor without DPF?

To answer you question Helitech.... here is a cut and paste from an advertisement I found near Kansas City (craigslist) that is exactly the same tractor and essentially exactly the same price.

Massey Ferguson 2706E Tractor (57.3 Engine HP/ 48 PTO HP) SN: FJM32617, 4wd, Flat Platform, 4 Cylinder Tier 4 Compliant Shibaura Engine with NO Exhaust Maintenance, 8x8 SynchroShuttle Transmission, 1 Set Rear Remotes, 11.5 GPM Hydraulics, 540 PTO. Massey Ferguson L135E Loader, 72" Skid Steer Bucket.

Load-N-Go Cash or 3.99% for 84 Months $27,551.79
0% for 60 Months Low Rate Financing $30,243.65

/ MF2706E vs MF1759 #4  
Thanks for the info! DPF for a JD 4044m is just over $1,000. Not too bad, throw in electronic injection , egr..etc and things can get expensive in a hurry. I have a 2010 VW Jetta TDI. Indications are that the DPF has cracked internally. If you take it to a dealer they will replace the DPF, egr, egr filter, both cats and a valve that is built into the exhaust system. Total cost between $6,500 and $8,500!

/ MF2706E vs MF1759 #5  
I am trying to decide between a Massey Ferguson 2706E and the Massey Ferguson 1759. 2706E is more of a basic tractor at a significantly lower price. The 2706E doesn't have a DPF compared to the 1759.
One major difference is the main clutch... wet multi-disc for the 1759 and single dry for the more basic 2706E. There are many other differences.

We have a little over 22 acres of pure farm land... I plan to use a two bottom plow, rotary tiller, bush hog, etc... constantly need to get softball to bowling ball sized rocks, which I will pick by hand and put in the bucket.

We grow garlic, pumpkins, and all sorts of veggies... as well as berries.. and we are adding a small orchard.... we have about 100 chickens for eggs.

My other options are the Deere 4066M powershuttle to compete with the MF1759 and the Mahindra 5570 to compete with the MF1759.

The local sales rep for Massey is top notch... extremely responsive and helpful... which has me leaning Massey - but still open minded for another couple of weeks.... then we will make a decision.

Any insights along these lines of tractors will be greatly appreciated.

I guess it comes down to which features, and which engine, you want to pay for. I'm thankful to have the 3.0L Iseki diesel in my Iseki built Massey 1652, the direct predecessor to the 17xx series.

Iseki still builds the two models you are looking at. However, there is a Mitsubishi diesel pushing the 17xx, and a Shibaura pushing the 2706. (It appears that Iseki is still working on their tier 4 engines). Both diesels are good; I had a similar tier 3 Mitsu in my LS, and had a Shibaura in my commercial Ford mower, as well as my current Hustler Z diesel mower.

Folks with the tier 4 Mitsu seem impressed, and the ReGen of the DPF seems to be at about 50 hrs. Not bad, especially compared to other systems reported in this forum.

The 1759 will definitely have more features than the 2706e.
-------

If I may make a suggestion... Look for a MF1660 (the powershuttle version of my tier 3 MF with the 3.0I Iseki). There's a cab version on TractorHouse, painted AGCO orange (search for an AGCO ST60a) ... If you are interested in the 1759 but not the emissions garbage... That's the tractor to find.

Good luck!

BTW, my 1648 was excellent (sold it to another member on here) and my 1652 has been equally flawless. Great machines.

Last edited:
   / MF2706E vs MF1759
I decided to go with Massey Ferguson (2706E or 1759) over a John Deere or Mahindra because of the people at the local Massey dealer. Both the John Deere 4066M and Mahindra 5570 look like great tractors as well.

Now I have to decide between the two Massey Ferguson tractors. I have decided to go with an Open Station over a Cab.

Here is how I see it..

In favor of Massey Ferguson 1759 vs 2706E
1. Wet multi-disc main clutch on 1759 over Dry Clutch on 2706E... my wife will be on the tractor as much or more than I will
2. Rear Lift Capacity 3307lbs on 1759 over 2425 lbs on 2706E... I am thinking this may be a big spec difference that I don't fully appreciate...
3. 12x12 Power shuttle on 1759 versus 8x8 syncho shuttle on 2706E
4. 1759 Features, especially the slow start PTO.. better operator station
5. Weight... 1759 about 500lbs heavier
6. Slight hydraulic advantage... solid rear axle planetary final drive
7. And perhaps most provocatively: I want the DPF... while we need the weight and HP for plowing... we will be using the tractor for a lot of chores - and I like the DPF system better over the Tier IV non DPF solutions which I believe is used for the 2706E.

In favor of the Massey Ferguson 2706E
1. Price... about $7,000 less
2. Price... I can get some very useful implements with that extra money
3. Price... the 2706E looks like a lot of tractor for the dollar.. and do I really need those premium features?
5. Slightly better HP at PTO due to gear drive...

There are other differences that are not factors for me... the engines are both solid as reported above, etc...

I'll make a final decision soon between these two tractors. If more of you have opinions.. we will really appreciate it. Thanks!

/ MF2706E vs MF1759 #7  
Just throwing something out there, do you drive a convertible in the winter routinely? I would get a cab tractor if you can't pick your days to use it.

The 1759 cab would be my choice of the two MF models, a lot more user friendly when you need to do lots of chores. I would also say the Deere 4066R with hydro, cab and about 58 pto hp is what I would buy today. Just my opinion but in these small tractors a hydro transmission is hard to beat. I have had several synchro shift tractors and while they were good I am much more satisfied with the hydro.

The 1660 MF also offered a cab version with partial power shift and direction reverser.

/ MF2706E vs MF1759 #8  
Just throwing something out there, do you drive a convertible in the winter routinely? I would get a cab tractor if you can't pick your days to use it.

The 1759 cab would be my choice of the two MF models, a lot more user friendly when you need to do lots of chores. I would also say the Deere 4066R with hydro, cab and about 58 pto hp is what I would buy today. Just my opinion but in these small tractors a hydro transmission is hard to beat. I have had several synchro shift tractors and while they were good I am much more satisfied with the hydro.

The 1660 MF also offered a cab version with partial power shift and direction reverser.

1660 offered dynaQPS (push button shifting and powershuttle)....

1758 would be HST, 1759 is the gear variant.

Agree on the cab!

/ MF2706E vs MF1759 #9  
Mark, I am in pretty much the exact same situation. Leaning towards the 1759 (open station) for finish mower, blading my gravel driveway, and moving some snow. I have access to the full size cab tractors for heavy work, but need something to get around my yard and do some lighter duties... We love the hyd. shuttle shift on our larger tractors. I got a price of $33K earlier this summer, I think the 2706 is mid $20K - enough lower to get my attention for sure. Curious to here your final decision and price. Good luck! Anyone else with direct experience with either model, please chime in!

/ MF2706E vs MF1759
We went with the 1759 open station with a loader and a Taylor Pittsburgh 72 inch tiller and we will likely add a two bottom plow. We are trying to find the plow used, but so far no luck. The 2706 was indeed very tempting. The slow start PTO was a little additional feature that tipped us to the 1759. We went with Massey over other brands based on a superior dealer experience. The other dealers were very good; the Massey dealer was great.