MF35 Intermittent Spark to Plugs

/ MF35 Intermittent Spark to Plugs #11  
I'm using new wire which are copper core low ohm MF wires.

So after setting the points gap to 0.022 as specified in the manual and turning the distributor about 20 degrees I started getting consistent spark and after setting the carb at 1 full turn for the Air screw and the jet screw I actually got it to start and run. Then I spent the next 4 hours trying to tune the carb with no luck, won't stop bucking if I try to take it up a 5% slope and wants to stall. One interesting thing though is I can drive up a 30% slope IN REVERSE with absolutely no problem, no stalling runs like a champ!!! ...but I can't go forward under load. I'm thinking the float is doing something weird in the carb with the gas sloshing around in the bowl of the carb against the float, and when I throw it in reverse the gas runs to the front of the carb and the float drops. Has anyone had this happen before? How did you fix it?[/QUOTE)

Rotate engine until number 1 cylinder is on compression stroke. Stop rotation when the word fire on flywheel appears in window of clutch housing. Install distributor with rotor lug pointed toward number 1 lug in cap. Hole for adjustment bolt should be centered in slot on distributor casting. I believe distributor shaft rotates clockwise when engine is running. Rotate distributor full clockwise, then counter clockwise until points just start to open. Tighten distributor bolt. Install cap a start engine. Should purr like a kitten. You can then adjust timing with a light if you want. Just gave this same info to another poster in the last two weeks and he said it worked perfectly.

/ MF35 Intermittent Spark to Plugs
So my no spark issue is back, I'm getting great spark from the coil to the distributor, but then nothing from the distributor to the plugs, something is going on in that distributor that I can't seem to figure out. Is the points ground the only ground on the distributor or does the distributor ground where it attaches to the engine block? Beneath the distributor plate that has the points attached to it is some kind of mechanical device that I have no clue what it's supposed to do, can someone tell me what that does?