MF3635 power shuttle failure

/ MF3635 power shuttle failure #1  

deputyrpa

Gold Member
Tractor
2006 Massey Ferguson 3635 Cab
My 2006 MF3635 PS has been issue free up until recently. Late last season I was getting a blinking Power Shuttle (PS) fault light with the code PSeR in the display, which indicates that the clutch switch and sensor are not congruent (do not match values). Restarting the tractor would sometimes extinguish the light, but it still operated with the light blinking. Changing the tranny fluid and filter did not alter the behavior. I can't figure out how to test the resistance in the clutch switch with its 4 blade connectors, nor the clutch sensor (potentiometer). The shop manual is not too useful.

This year, I headed down to the lower field and the tractor just stopped. I now got a solid PS light and a low transmission fluid pressure light with no fault code on the display. I restarted the machine and kept on. On my way back the same thing happened. This time restarting it many times did not work. I towed it back to the shop. I pulled the tranny filter cartridge and noted that the tranny fluid was coffee colored (this is after only about 15 hours after the change). I drained and filled it up with spec fluid, and the low transmission oil pressure light went out, but my PS light remained on and solid. Again, no code in the display. When I started it up again, the tranny pressure light came back on. Geez!

The manual states that a solid PS light with no display code indicates power shuttle lever failures. The tranny pressure light is puzzling. I have no means to test the pressure, but I am going to pull the sensor and test inspect and clean it.

Any other suggestions before I call the pros? Thanks.

/ MF3635 power shuttle failure #2  
Curious about the fluid getting colored at all. Between changes on my Kubota's (hydraulic shuttles) the fluid stays almost clear no matter what I use which is either Rotella hydraulic fluid, SUDT or Chevron THC. Sounds to me like you have a compromised seal somewhere.

/ MF3635 power shuttle failure
Or a brake issue? The left side brakes are weak.

/ MF3635 power shuttle failure #4  
Wet disc or drum or dry? Mine are wet disc. I rarely use the brakes except for parking on a slope.

/ MF3635 power shuttle failure #5  
Curious about the fluid getting colored at all. Between changes on my Kubota's (hydraulic shuttles) the fluid stays almost clear no matter what I use which is either Rotella hydraulic fluid, SUDT or Chevron THC. Sounds to me like you have a compromised seal somewhere.
Same here, so darn clear it's almost impossible to tell the level on the stick for either of my tractors. Have to twist the dip sticks in the light just right or dab them on a cloth.

/ MF3635 power shuttle failure
Wet disc brakes. I've run the tractor for about an hour now using the wood splitter. The new fluid is still clear, but that is not a good example. However, when I changed out the fluid last summer, the fluid I drained was still clear. The new fluid i put replaced it with was supposed to meet spec, but perhaps it was inferior. I had abut 10-15 hours on that fluid, until I replaced it with Shell.