Mowing Mid Mount Mower

/ Mid Mount Mower #1  

Spud

Tractor
2001 Kubota B7500HST
Hi

There are 3 models to choose from for Mowers.
RCK54-D16, RCK54-24B, and RCK60-24B.

What are the major differences between these 3 models other than the actual width?

Is there one particular one that would be better for the B7500HSD and if so, why?

Thanks
Spud

/ Mid Mount Mower #2  
Spud,

When I bought my 7500 I almost bought the RCK54-D16 because it was roughly $500 cheaper, but I ended up going with the RCK60-24B. As I recall the 3 major differences are that the 24B`s are more heavily constructed, they are compatible with the grass catcher attachment and lastly, the B24`s are not suspended from the tractor during cutting, but float on guage wheels attached to the mower deck. The D16 is suspended from the tractor during cutting and there are several posts that claim that this is actually better; search the forum for posts from TresCrow regarding why the BX series mowers are better. ( BX mowers are suspended, just like the RCK54-D16)

In my opinion, if your lawn is relatively flat, or with long rolling hills either will cut just fine. If you have a lot of irregularity then the suspended deck may be better; however, I would argue if you have problems with scalping it may just be time to smooth out the bumps.

If I were to do it again I would still go with the 60" 24B for the extra 6" of cutting width and the option of getting a grass cather in the future. If your lawn is finished, I do not think the suspended or floating design is much of an issue.

AC

/ Mid Mount Mower #3  
AC
I saw your mention of the grass catcher. Do you have one and how has it worked?

NH

/ Mid Mount Mower #4  
NH,

Actually I don't own the catcher. I think it was about $2,000 and I didn't have the heart to buy it at the time, but I thought it might be something I would get at sometime in the future.

AC

/ Mid Mount Mower #5  
I agree with you on the flat land. However if you have any
amount of gopher, badger, etc. holes in the yard the rolling
deck wheels can fall in where the tractor wheels won't.

Just something else to keep in mind...

Michael

/ Mid Mount Mower #6  
I went ahead and bought the grass catcher. It gets delivered tomorrow with the new b7500 and 60" mmm. I'll let you know how it works after I try it out over the weekend

NH

/ Mid Mount Mower #7  
DONOTDELETE: I have a 2003 Kubota B7500 HSD w/RCK60-24B MMM. I am considering purchasing some sort of grass/leaf collection equipment. Your post from 2001 stated that you ordered the Kubota grass catcher for your 60" MMM. Could you please give me an update on how well it worked? Was the collector a GCK60-24B? Was it hard to install? How has it held up? How often do you have to empty the bags when mowing "normal" length grass? Any other comments would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Others: I would appreciate comments from anyone who may have tried or used a Kubota GCK-24B Grass Collector. Thanks!!!