Mid PTO uses other than Mowers?

/ Mid PTO uses other than Mowers? #1  

MDSteve

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 3710
I was wondering what other attachments I could run off of my Mid PTO? I use a rear finish mower for the field. I was standard on the L3710 HST. Maybe I will never find a use for it.

Steve

/ Mid PTO uses other than Mowers? #2  
Steve

See that you live in Maryland so my "other" use probably will not interest you. In Montana, I use my midmount PTO for a front mount snowblower.

Interested if there is any other use other than the big two.

Rick

/ Mid PTO uses other than Mowers? #4  
Would be a great place for an aux hyd pump for a splitter. Could get higher gpm with lower engine speeds. Would also be good for a pto winch . I think I would go with the hyd winch though.

/ Mid PTO uses other than Mowers? #5  
Hydraulic pump was my thought too. It would do away with the question of how to tie a log splitter into the tractor hydraulics question I see discussed in many threads. I have one rigged to mount on a 4 wheel Gravely garden tractor with mid PTO. Works great for my log splitter. My next project is a pygmy backhoe for the little gravely beast.

/ Mid PTO uses other than Mowers? #6  
<font color=blue>I have one rigged to mount on a 4 wheel Gravely garden tractor with mid PTO. Works great for my log splitter. </font color=blue>

Details, we want details. What kind of pump? Did you have to rig a pulley or chain? Etc.

/ Mid PTO uses other than Mowers? #7  
I just found an old pump lying around at my Father in laws and mounted it to a homemade bracket that would bolt up to the frame members on the Gravely. Then had to buy the PTO fitting from Gravely ( strange size ). The PTO coupling had a u joint in it. I coupled that to a shaft, which I welded a piece of tube stock to that would fit snugly over the pump shaft. Then drilled a hole thru the tubing and pump input shaft and put a grade 1 bolt/shearpin thru it. then I plumbed the input and output hoses back to my logsplitter, which has the return fluid tank and the valve on it. Works great. You should be able to find a suitable pump at Northern Hydraulics for under 100.00 and I think they have the detent valve for 60 dollars or so.

It takes me about 10 or 15 minutes to remove the pump from the tractor. I then just lay the hoses with pump attached on the log splitter until I need it next.

Do pay attention to whether your PTO rotation direction and that of the pump you use. Some pumps do not care but many do care about the direction. Also I plan on upgrading my design before next splitting season, using a couple of sprockets and chain drive on the pump to increase the speed a bit. The splitter is a bit slow now because the PTO only runs about 750-1000 rpm and the pump can handle up to 3600 rpm. It still builds good pressure and splits great, just slow moving the ram, which is rather large. I think the ram came off of a full size backhoe. After I get the speed up on the pump this setup should really wham the wood.

/ Mid PTO uses other than Mowers?
That is a good idea about a PTO driven pump. I am looking at getting a splitter and was going to run it off the FEL conections. Time to start finding information on PTO driven pumps.

Thanks for the help.

Steve

/ Mid PTO uses other than Mowers? #9  
Steve check out here for PTO Pumps (540 and 1000 rpm)

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.princedirect.com/pages/pumps.html>Prince Direct</A>

/ Mid PTO uses other than Mowers? #10  
Well yeah Hazmat if you want to take the easy way out :) Just kidding of course. Northern Hydraulic has these pumps also. They just would not work on a Gravely PTO, I think it is a 1 inch shaft. I believe some fo the other sub-compacts might have this size also.

Will they fit ( housing clearance ) on the mid mount PTO ? If so it is the perfect solution. I know someone that has one he uses on his rear PTO for his logsplitter and it works great.