Miller 250 Syncrowave 250 parts availability.......lacking

/ Miller 250 Syncrowave 250 parts availability.......lacking #1  

Kyle_in_Tex

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4310,JD5420
Let me first say I'm not a Lincoln or Miller guy. I just use what I have.

So we have a barely used 2006 model Synchrowave 250 with a water cooled torch at work. A big bottle of argon has been on it for about 2 years now. I would guess it's maybe on the 5th or 6th bottle just to estimate it's total use.

In 2012, the main on/off switch quit working. It cost about $400 for the repair.

The next problem is partly our fault because of lack of use. A couple of weeks ago, it would turn on for about 30-40 seconds and then shutoff giving a fault alarm. It was not getting a reading from the water cooler system's pressure switch. It looks like it should cost about $10.....Not available anymore.

So I tore down the entire coolant tank system for the water cooled torch handle because the coolant had a film of rust on it. I tried different chemicals to clean off the stained inside walls, that was on the coolant tank's internal sides. It is made of polyethylene or polypropylene. Even a mild acid wouldn't get the stain off. I just wanted it off for aesthetics. I called our dealer back and asked "How much for a whole new tank"? He called me back and said....Not available anymore. I asked him what to do about the pressure switch alarm and he said, "Miller just says to put a jumper wire around it.".....So I did.

Got the coolant system flushed out forwards and backwards, and it flows just fine.

Glad I didn't really need any parts for it after all, and the price was right....zero. Oh they do have the $30 something a gallon coolant available. But a lot of people don't buy it.

But, what if I really did need a part? I'd be screwed. Any other miller owners out there run into this? I mean this welder is only 12 years old. It looks brand new.

Hope no one else needs any of the parts I tried to get. I see these units on auctions and such and think how nice it would be to have one at home, but I would now be hesitant to buy one knowing if they are older, they may be obsolete and hard to get parts for.

/ Miller 250 Syncrowave 250 parts availability.......lacking #2  
You would be absolutely surprised what is on ebay that dealer can no longer get....

Dale

/ Miller 250 Syncrowave 250 parts availability.......lacking #3  
Yup, a part numbers search will probably yield more results. Aside from the circuit boards and a few other parts most internals can be replaced with generics if you can figure out what will work.

I've found my local Miller dealers arent that great at getting parts.

/ Miller 250 Syncrowave 250 parts availability.......lacking
I tried googling the part numbers. The pressure switch should be a simple generic part, but it only came up from some large company that wants to sell a large amount to whomever.

The coolant tank is a rotomolded part that would only be used in a Miller welder. They have gone from this setup to a stand alone cooling unit.

As of now, it's working with the pressure switch jumpered. It's making the controller think it's fine.

/ Miller 250 Syncrowave 250 parts availability.......lacking #5  
If you have idea of what pressure it is working with, get oil pressure sender switch or brake light switch (kind that goes on master cylinder) for automobile or do search for something like 10 PSI pressure switch and use brass fittings to adapt...

Got to be 100 pressure switches out there that may work got to be one that will makes coolant pump controller happy...

Dale

/ Miller 250 Syncrowave 250 parts availability.......lacking #6  
Coolant needs to be changed 2X year due to possibly becoming electrically conductive causing all kinds of issues. I am surprised that the parts are no longer out there. I'd call the multitude of private repair houses and talk with them. Often they have used parts available. I'm not a big fan of most LWS efforts.

/ Miller 250 Syncrowave 250 parts availability.......lacking #7  
Since you don't use the machine much why not just put an air-cooled torch on it and forget the coolant.

/ Miller 250 Syncrowave 250 parts availability.......lacking #8  
If there are places here in Canada that just repair name brand welders and plasmas, and often have old parts, there must be a ton of those guys south of the border. BTW, often something like a pressure switch isn't rocket science and you can source one with similar specs elsewhere.

The guys I met, are also great because they are not brand loyal. They will tell you what's junk and what's not.

For what it's worth, they have little good to say about modern electronic switched welders and plasmas and believe in the older copper wound transformer based units.

/ Miller 250 Syncrowave 250 parts availability.......lacking
There are people who have businesses that work on the major brands. The company I work for has a weird purchasing system. You have to order stuff against a project number, the projects are mostly government projects, and they don't want you buying used stuff and taking a chance.

Who wants an air cooled torch when you've been spoiled with a water cooled torch? Not me.