Miller Dial Arc Questions

/ Miller Dial Arc Questions #1  

Tractor Seabee

Elite Member
Port Orchard WA Kitsap Peninsula, West of Seattle
Tractor
Kubota BX25
Does anyone remember what a Dial Arc 250 cost new back in the 70-80s? Picked up one yesterday for $200 that works like new for a 1979 unit. May have lucked out on that one.

Any body using one for TIG or MIG welding? What attachments are needed for those?

Any good/bad opinions appreciated on them. I plan to set it up for my shop.

Ron

/ Miller Dial Arc Questions #2  
Does anyone remember what a Dial Arc 250 cost new back in the 70-80s? Picked up one yesterday for $200 that works like new for a 1979 unit. May have lucked out on that one.

Any body using one for TIG or MIG welding? What attachments are needed for those?

Any good/bad opinions appreciated on them. I plan to set it up for my shop.

Ron

I the Dial Arc an HF model? Other value consideration would be if it's a white face or black face. ( tells age ) It's a solid machine that will likely be around long enough to put it in your will. If you plan to tig with a 150 amp torch the only thing you need is a 105Z57 power block or for a 250 amp torch the power block would be a 45V11. Both cost between $10-15. And a torch. If not an HF model it would be scratch start. I guess you could look around for a HF box to add to it. For Mig it would be costly to get set up with a voltage sensing feeder. You could buy a dedicated mig machine for less. Good luck. You got a good deal on that old lifetime welder.

/ Miller Dial Arc Questions
I the Dial Arc an HF model? Other value consideration would be if it's a white face or black face. ( tells age ) It's a solid machine that will likely be around long enough to put it in your will. If you plan to tig with a 150 amp torch the only thing you need is a 105Z57 power block or for a 250 amp torch the power block would be a 45V11. Both cost between $10-15. And a torch. If not an HF model it would be scratch start. I guess you could look around for a HF box to add to it. For Mig it would be costly to get set up with a voltage sensing feeder. You could buy a dedicated mig machine for less. Good luck. You got a good deal on that old lifetime welder.

Thanks for the insight Yomax

Adding to my previous:

It was made in 1979 per the serial #
It is a white face
Not HF, What was the difference between the two

Ron

/ Miller Dial Arc Questions #4  
Thanks for the insight Yomax

Adding to my previous:

It was made in 1979 per the serial #
It is a white face
Not HF, What was the difference between the two

Ron

Black face was just the newer version. Not a lot of changes in those days.

/ Miller Dial Arc Questions #6  
I have the Dialarc 250HF. In 1986 it was IIRC $1800 new bare machine stripped. I started out with an air-cooled 160a Tig torch but added water cooler and 250a water cooled torch later.

Plenty of power, I’ve burnt up a few outlets and receptacles and torches welding alum in the high power mode. Always handled big stick rods on the high side of the top settings, and low low tig on thin stuff barely breaking an arc. Been a great welder used most everyday since new. Only single trouble was burning up the main on/off switch 20 years ago. A few years ago I had it wired direct to our 480 3ph so no more input power issues.

Miller makes some good stuff, I also have a Miller Syncrowave 350 and a Miller Deltaweld 452 with FC.