Minature Goats

/ Minature Goats #21  
Gordon, the first goat we got was a pet before we got her, too. So we could turn her out to play with the kids, but she'd also soon be on top of my old truck or up on my workbench in the shop, etc. if you didn't watch her. The odd thing to me is that they jump up on everything, but I've never seen one jump over a 4' high fence although I suppose it happens sometimes. I don't think building a pen for a goat requires anything special except if it's a goat with horns, try to use a wire mesh that's small enough it can't get it's head through anywhere or it may not be able to get back out. And otherwise the only problem I ever had was putting the buck in a pen with a wire mesh that too light and he just butted it until he knocked a hole in it.

Bird

/ Minature Goats
My wife keeps telling me I need to get a small female donkey to protect against coyotees. Guess she knows what she is talking about. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I am sure they are very entertaining to watch. I guess I will have to dump a load of dirt for the goats to get up on.

/ Minature Goats
Dfelgar,

I will check those out also. Thanks for the information. My wife thinks that she wants the minature Nigerian Goats, but the Pygamy's are almost as cute animals. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Minature Goats
I am going to build the fences out of 4 ft no climb 2x4 horse wire. The pen will be built out of the same type fencing, but a heavier version of it is sold in panels. They cost more, but are pretty rugged.

I have a concern about my dogs and goats. They are two 100 pound mixed Malmute/Shepherd, and Husky. When they get a fight with each other, I couldn't break it up with water, 2x4's, etc. I bought my wife a really good cattle prod and they run when they see her with it. I have no idea how or whether they will get along with minature goats.

/ Minature Goats #25  
You are right she loves to jump into the back of my truck if the tailgate is down. The steps are a great idea they love to be king of the hill.
The good thing about her is we can tie a leash to her and let her go to town on the briers. Some plants she will really destroy and others she won't touch. Seems like the nasty plants is what she likes.
Most of the time she gets out of the pen is when we are in the yard and she's not she jumps out of the window of the little shed not over the fence the window is about 40" off the floor. I put plexiglass over it in the winter and take it off come springtime.
Guess a regular chain link fence wouldn't work for the possibility of them getting their horns stuck.
Gordon

/ Minature Goats #26  
Gordon, I would think a chain link fence would be just fine. I don't think they'll get their horns hung so long as they can't get their head through a hole and then can't get their horns turned right to back out.

Bird

/ Minature Goats
Probably the worse is standard old field fencing as the openings are 6x6 and they can get their heads stuck in that. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

/ Minature Goats #28  
Guess other people who actually keep goats have commented. To me, goats are just interesting to watch and do some pretty funny things. The kids are especially wacko and jump all over the place. As somebody mentioned, they are kept as pets.

My wife used to go the farm zoo I mentioned especially to watch the goats. Then she married me. Suppose I'll have to ponder if there's a connection or not.

/ Minature Goats #29  
Guess I've been living away from the West for too long. Completely forget that's one of the things donkeys are good for. I've heard tell that llamas can be used for the same thing for sheep.

/ Minature Goats
The price of the young kids are actually a little higher than calves and a whole lot less trouble over their lifetime. The milk produced is significant if you like to milk them each night. They are indeed an economically feasible agricultural animal and they can be a lot of fun too. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif