Mini truck utv

/ Mini truck utv #1  

ernemats

Veteran Member
Tractor
power trac 422, and agco-allis 5660, john deere 550 dozer ,1845 power trac
Has anyone looked at the Japanese mini truck utv's that seem to be getting popular in place of the regular utv's. They are a little larger than a regular utv and some are street legal and the price is comparable to a utv.

/ Mini truck utv #2  
We went thru a surge of them here ten years ago or so. Several farmers had them as well as pleasure users. There's only one left here that I know of. The rest are probably still here but parked in the shed.

Biggest complaint was their lack of offroad ability. Pretty easy to get them stuck. Especially in uneven terrain.

/ Mini truck utv #3  
I had looked at them a while back;
To my knowledge none of them are street legal if registered as a truck, if you could register them as a utv, maybe in some locations.
They were difficult for me to fit into, I have a large foot and there was not room for my feet as well as my body.
They would be handy at times and comfortable in the winter.
The suspension was not conductive to rough ground or fields.
The ground clearance was minimal.

/ Mini truck utv #4  
I owned a mini truck for several years. They do have some pros and cons.

Pros
1. They have a cab with heater, and some have AC.
2. Some can be street legal.
3. They usually have a larger bed.

Cons.
1. They are not very fast, and have less power than most UTV's
2. Repair parts are almost non existent in the USA. I had to get most of my parts from Japan.
3. They seem to be not as 'heavy duty' as most UTV's because they are built for on-road use and not for off road.

We have a local dealer who has been selling them around here for 20+ years. He has sold many of them to crawfish farmers. It seems that the crawfish farmers are not using them as much any more and are going to small pickup trucks which are not much bigger, and can be used on the roads and can be repaired easier.

Used 4x4 Japanese Mini Trucks, K-Trucks, Kei Truck, Louisiana - Second Hand Trucks LLC

I had mine for use at the deer camp, and I really liked the cab for cold morning trips to the deer stand. I ended up selling it because every time I used it, something else would break on it, and I had to order parts from Tokyo. I did get it stuck a few times mainly because it did not have enough power to turn the tires in the mud. Mine was a Honda, of which there are very few in the USA. It did not have a low range on the transmission.

I paid $1000 for mine at a farm auction, and probably spent another $3000 in repairs over the 2 or 3 years I had it. I sold it for $3500.

It had a bad windshield when I bought it.. Of course I had to order it from Japan, and it took about a month for it to be delivered.

Most other parts I could have delivered from Japan within a few days, but the windshield required special shipping.

I now own a Kawasaki Mule that I paid $6600 for. I like it better, except for the fact that I don't have a cab on the Mule.

/ Mini truck utv #5  
I've had 3 of them and still have a Daihatsu 2wheel drive that is street legal and I drive it around town. I built one Suzuki for my son to use for hunting in Co. and he really likes it and never has had any trouble with it. His 3 kids all learned to drive in it.I had another Suzuki that was badged as a Mazda Scrum that I put a dump and scissor lift on to use around our property and never had any trouble with it.I sold it to a neighbor who uses it all the time and never has any problems. I have a Kubota RTV 900 now and sure miss the cab and heater.I paid more for the RTV than all 3 mini trucks.

/ Mini truck utv #6  
I have the newer style direct injection model Suzuki carry. Its not old enough to be road legal yet. I put 25 inch atv tires on it and a lift kit. I can keep up off-road with all my friends with their utility UTV like mules gator and RTV. With the diff-lock and the low gear transfer case this thing is capable enough.I built an hydraulic dump bed on mine and can haul way more stuff that they can. I can use my tractor to fill the bed and not drop half on the ground. I have windshields, doors, roof, wipers,heat, AC at a fraction of the price. I would not go back to regular UTV after owning this.

/ Mini truck utv
Saw one at a dealer last week with tracks on , I was going to stop and look at it but I was in a hurry.