Minneapolis Moline M5 hard to shift gears

/ Minneapolis Moline M5 hard to shift gears #1  

johnnyo34

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1010, Cockshutt 40 gas.
I just bought a MM M5 with a FEL. The farmer that had it backed it on to the trailer for me, he did fidget with the gear shift lever shifting it from forward to reverse several times trying to line it up with the trailer. got it home and I can't get it out of forward gear, I think it's in 5th gear. I do need reverse, lucky he backed it onto the trailer so I was able to drive it off. Is there a trick to shifting gears on these tractors?

The tractor does need some TLC.. choke cable, exhaust leak, battery oi seal on FEL lift cylinder, etc. but I only paid $1000 Canadian for it.

all help will be appreciated

thanks in advance, John

/ Minneapolis Moline M5 hard to shift gears #2  
Most of those had an auxiliary power shift they called an Ampli-Torc, many tractors will shift much easier if that is pulled to the under drive position.
It was very similar to the IH Torque Amplifier or TA. These also do NOT have any hold back in the lower range, they will pull or go uphill they free wheel going downhill.
Or Oliver Hydra-power.

/ Minneapolis Moline M5 hard to shift gears
Thank you very much. That did it.. I pulled the lever down and it shifts good to all gears, but the shift lever is pretty loose, must be worn somewhere. so is it recommended that I pull the lever down every time I need to shift gears??
I would like to find a Canadian supplier for parts. I need a gearshift knob. Steiner has one for $4.75 but they want $35 to ship it to me. probably fit in one of those brown envelopes. pretty ridiculous..
.. I'll try to find a blade to mount on the FEL. mainly will use it to push snow. thanks again, John

P.S. would you happen to know what spark plugs this tractor takes?

Last edited:
   / Minneapolis Moline M5 hard to shift gears #4  
Not a clue on the plugs, Yesterdaystractors, one word, dot, com has a MM page and many of those folks will know a lot more then me on them.
A lot of time you can pull it into neutral while it's still rolling, stop and get a good shift that way. But quite often the under drives seem to free up the bind and allow easier shifting. I have no idea of your knowledge on these old units, but trying to shift while its bound tight it's easy to jump the shift lever out of the gates and sometimes into two gears at once. Then you have to pull the shift lever, reach in with a bar or big screw driver and line up the gates in neutral and fish the lever back into place.
Good luck with your MM.

Great thanks for the info. I've had several old tractors but never a Minnie. Had an IH660, Masset 90, and 95, Coxhshutts 40, 560 International 1466, but non that I had to put into Ampli-torque to shift gears. I appreciate any help and tips I can get rubbing this beast.. lol

/ Minneapolis Moline M5 hard to shift gears #6  
Not a clue on the plugs, Yesterdaystractors, one word, dot, com has a MM page and many of those folks will know a lot more then me on them.
A lot of time you can pull it into neutral while it's still rolling, stop and get a good shift that way. But quite often the under drives seem to free up the bind and allow easier shifting. I have no idea of your knowledge on these old units, but trying to shift while its bound tight it's easy to jump the shift lever out of the gates and sometimes into two gears at once. Then you have to pull the shift lever, reach in with a bar or big screw driver and line up the gates in neutral and fish the lever back into place.
Good luck with your MM.
I don稚 know much about AmpliTorque, but I wonder if there is a linkage adjustment procedure that would cure the shifting difficulty. An IH TA has a specific clutch / TA linkage adjustment protocol that addresses these exact symptoms. AmpliTorque is a very similar device.

I don稚 know much about AmpliTorque, but I wonder if there is a linkage adjustment procedure that would cure the shifting difficulty. An IH TA has a specific clutch / TA linkage adjustment protocol that addresses these exact symptoms. AmpliTorque is a very similar device.

Yes you are right. I can't imagine that as being normal. That a company would manufacture a tractor and sell it knowing you had to put it into ampli-torque to shift gears.. something is either worn bad or hopefully only out of adjustment. I don't have a manual for it yet that would show if there is an adjustment and how to do it. I was hoping that somebody on the forum would have found out how to adjust or fix the problem.

/ Minneapolis Moline M5 hard to shift gears #9  
Maybe try to get an hold on Squatch253 on Youtube. He knows pretty much everything about Minneapolis Moline, including the prototype ones and all the differences between. He also do restorations on these tractors. Really good content.

Here is the link: Squatch253
- YouTube