Moly Long Oil

/ Moly Long Oil #1  

Bob_Young

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 4000; Ford 2000(both 3cyl.);JD40; 2004 Kubota L4300; 2006 Kubota B7610; new 2007 Kubota MX5000
While cleaning out my Dad's barn I came upon several unopened cases of S.A.E. 30 Moly Long Oil. The cans show API service classification of SD,SE,CC and CD. Also Mil. Specs. MIL-L-2104B, MIL-L-45199B, MIL-L-2104C, MIL-L-46152. It also shows specs. for Mack, Caterpillar, International Harvester, Cummins, Detroit Diesel, Chrysler, Ford, and....American Motors(?). It was made or marketed by the International Molybdenum Corporation (IMC) of Pompano Beach, FL.

According to the label, it supposedly contains 1% molybdenum di-sulfide and is good for 75,000 miles or 12 months between changes.

I'm wondering is this safe to use in my Kubotas. From the API CD classification, I'd suspect it is. Judging from the old-style cardboard cans and the American Motors reference, this stuff has probably been sitting there since the '70s.

Does anyone know anything about this oil? Can anyone think of a good reason to NOT use it? Hate to be spending good money for oil when there's gallons of the stuff sitting around. There's also a 50 gallon drum of oil in another location that's supposedly for diesel engines. Dad used to work for Mobil.
Bob

/ Moly Long Oil #2  
I'd sure be tempted to use it as I like anything moly.

Maybe mix it half and half with something new?

Turns the cans upside down for a while to help with any settling out?

Smell it, feel it, see if it seems ok?

Mike

/ Moly Long Oil #4  
There were some pretty bad engine problems in the late 70's/early 80's due to improperly formulated/blended moly oils. This sounds like one of the products of that era with wild drain interval claims. Given the price of a modern engine oil, I don't think it is worth the risk of using it in your tractor. If you want to use it up, it would probably be a decent chain lube.

/ Moly Long Oil #5  
E-Bay--- I can invision $20 a qt

good luck

/ Moly Long Oil #6  
If I found it I'd say I just found a lifetime supply of chainsaw bar oil

/ Moly Long Oil #7  
I would not use it either. Why risk a piece of equipment worth thousand of dollars over $75 or so worth of oil. Kind of like walking over a dollar to pick up a penny. Sell it on EBAY.

Chris

/ Moly Long Oil #8  
I agree with Chris, Rob and Raven. Another reason for not using it...the additives in it have probably settled out. The additive package in today's oils are probably much better at protecting your engine than the ones of years gone past...

/ Moly Long Oil #9  
chainsaw bar oil. There might be a reason it never got used. An engine freeze up back in the day would cause a guy to let it sit. I don't see any other reason to have a "never use that oil again" mentality.

/ Moly Long Oil #10  
I would keep the oil as a historic momento and decoration, and sell the rest on ebay.

Moly is a fanastic extreme pressure lubricant and works wonders in wear prevention. However its downfall is that the older and cheaper moly, were particales that were supended in the oil. Newer moly formulations have a more expensive disolved moly solution that will not settle out.

I'm sure that some oldies collector will give up some serious greenbacks for those old cans. The 55 gallon drum will be much more difficult to get rid of.