Montana 5740C purchase?? Realibility

/ Montana 5740C purchase?? Realibility #11  
Uncle Buck and I agree on kinda lousy milage, Myself, I believe a tractor of whatever size should be able to do an 8 hour shift without refueling. Used to be able to do it with an 8-N Ford? Have yet to get more than 7 hours with the 5740 C, On the very best day, while I was breaking in the tractor.My only real gripes so far have been fuel consumption, Radiator plugging of the main radiator and A/C radiator, due to proximity of, radiators. Don't feel there is enough room between them to quickly service them, and keep the air flow that is needed to keep the radiator fins from plugging, without bringing the machine to the shop on a daily basis, to blow the fins clean. Working with the dealer on that one.Want to install high output fan in front of the radiators to deflect the chaff across the front of the the tractor,thinking that the fine grass seed and dust won't be able to collect in the fins. When the radiator fins are clean, the heater and A/C works absolutly great, put some lint in them, not so great. Lot of humidity in my area, rarely work more than 20 miles inland of the ocean, so I'm open to the idea that fines will stick to the fins, but don't think that I need to blow down the radiator every day.P.T.O. trick, crowd the bucket or loader, or whatever hydraulics you can crowd to capacity, and then engage the P.T.O.. My mechanic suggested it, and it doesn't fix the whole shock of startup with heavy blades, but certainnly helps. If the price seems right on the tractor, buy it. None of them are getting cheaper. I suspect that the Montana line may have been more heavily pushed in the South initially, just because the backers were from the Southen region. Maka could weigh in on that, I haven't a clue.Just shy of 500 hours on my machine, no major breakdowns, some persistant "pissy" problems, dealer has been most decent up to this point. Next week we talk about the "pissy " details. Montana has backed all of the dealers decisions so far, we'll see what happens. Sidey"BRUSHTAMERS"

/ Montana 5740C purchase?? Realibility #12  
Just thought I'd throw in something I just learned yesterday about my 5740C. I had pulled it up to my barn to use the compressor to blow out the radiator, A/C coils etc. I blew out the entire front end area, including the battery compartment area, and when I did, a small mouse runs out from under my battery. Instead of running and jumping off the tractor, that little bugger ran back into the motor area. I figured he had jumped off from the motor, so I finished blowing out the screens, etc, including the air cleaner. I got it all done, and everything put back and buttoned up, and then went to start the motor. It's 96 plus and very humid here in Texas right now, so my A/C is on all the time.

When I started the engine, and the A/C fans came on automatically because the switch was already on, I heard one heck of a loud noise from those A/C fans. Speeds #2 and #3 were REAL loud!

Anyhow, I pulled off that 6 bolt panel on the roof that gives me access to those fans and YUP!!, you guessed it!!..that little mouse had made his way up into the roof of my cab, and into one of the A/C fans. When I started up the motor and those fans came on, he was in there and I had spread him along the sides of the small fan compartment pretty evenly! I had to pry him off the sides of the fan unit and clean up the sides too, but after that, those fans went back to working perfectly again. If anyone EVER has a noise coming from those fans, I understand that even a small piece of paper can make them have quite a noise, so check that area first. Oh, and a mouse apparently can get up in the fan area directly from the motor too! Either that or I killed "Mouse Hundinni" yesterday!!

/ Montana 5740C purchase?? Realibility
Thanks for the grat Info, I am planning to visit the dealer tomorrow if all goes well, I will need to look into the PTO issue because it would primarly be used for mowing. Would there be any way to reduce the idle speed as low as possible and engage PTO?

Also can you tell me if the loader control is in a convenient location ?

Thank you

/ Montana 5740C purchase?? Realibility #14  
That's the best way to engage the PTO..When the motor idle is as low as possible, and then after it's engaged, rev up to the desired speed for PTO. That's what we were saying earlier. Mowing will be no problem with the 5740C.

The "Joy Stick" is located to the immediate right of you, sitting in your seat. Very good place.

/ Montana 5740C purchase?? Realibility
Thanks, I was wondering if I should adjust the pump to lower the idle even more until we have the enhanced valve, I understand it should be a retrofit and available in the next few months.

Does the PTO also shut down abruptly? or let the blades etc spin down?

Thanks

/ Montana 5740C purchase?? Realibility #16  
NetworkMD said:
Thanks, I was wondering if I should adjust the pump to lower the idle even more until we have the enhanced valve, I understand it should be a retrofit and available in the next few months.

Does the PTO also shut down abruptly? or let the blades etc spin down?

Thanks

Lets the blades etc spin down, within reason, after the motor speed is lowered...(WITH the PTO switch turned to the left, or independant)

/ Montana 5740C purchase?? Realibility #17  
had same issue with mine, broke shaft ujoint, shear pins etc, I put on a slip clutch and havent had any issues since.