Mounting electrical panels on wooden utility pole

/ Mounting electrical panels on wooden utility pole #11  
I need to mount a couple electrical disconnects and panel on a round wooden utility pole, approximately 12" diameter. I'm thinking of bending some threaded rod into a Ubolt and attach horizontal unistrut to the pole, then mount plywood on the unistrut for the panels. Any other ideas welcome.
I wouldn't mount it to the pole. I'd sink two 4x4's 2-3' apart and fill in across them with 2x6s and mount to that.

/ Mounting electrical panels on wooden utility pole #12  
My main breaker panel is mounted on the last power pole in my yard. A 4x4 sheet of plywood with long lag bolts into the power pole. The breaker box is mounted on the plywood and held on with carriage bolts.

Been this way since 1982 without a single problem.

easiest method is how oosik mentioned above.

I wouldn't mount it to the pole. I'd sink two 4x4's 2-3' apart and fill in across them with 2x6s and mount to that.

Method #2 moss road mentioned above.

Some jobs have specifications to use Utility Pole Stand Offs. Make for a very clean looking installation.
Stand offs at link below.

/ Mounting electrical panels on wooden utility pole #13  
None of the meters around here that my utility uses have a "disconnect".

They use a meter base that has an upper portion where the meter goes and is locked for power company access, then a lower portion with main breakers that serves for customer access and disconnect.

Similar to one of these Siemens MC0408B1200T $396.36 Siemens MC0408B1200T Meter Load Center Combination, 200 A, 120/240 V, 4-Space, 8-Circuit | Zoro.com

If something like that would work for you and simplify your installation. Just one of those mounted direct to pole is all you see around here

/ Mounting electrical panels on wooden utility pole #14  
I suggest talking to an electrical inspector for your utility or building inspection. Requirements vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and utility to utility. Some require a permit for any alteration, others may not. They should tell you what is acceptable.

I recently took down an old meter base and panel for a long gone mobile home from a property owner owned pole. The meter base and panel were mounted using lag bolts and was still secure after being there about 25 years.

/ Mounting electrical panels on wooden utility pole #15  
I would not use plywood for an outdoor mount for electrical equipment. I'm pretty sure when I was investigating installing a farm service out at our property back in the early 90s the power company specifically said it had to be pressure treated 2x material and could not use plywood even if pressure treated.

With that, just be sure to check with your local utility and comply with their standards and/or local building/electrical codes.

/ Mounting electrical panels on wooden utility pole #16  
I would do a little chainsaw carving to make a flat spot on the pole to hold a piece of 3/4" plywood.