Mow or leave alone?

/ Mow or leave alone? #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I put in a mix Alfalfa/OG pasture fall before last. We had such a wet winter/spring that it took almost until the end of summer to actually seem to establish. I had about 12-14" alfalfa at the end of the year and decided to just leave it alone.

Now, it has died back and the OG is visible, but under the old dead alfalfa stems which still stick out above it. Since I've never had a mix like this before, I'm not sure what the best thing to do at this time would be?

Do I simply leave it alone and cut it as usual, when the time comes for 1st cutting, leaving the dead stems in the mix along with everything else?

Or do I go in, raise my mower above the OG, and cut off the straggler stems of the alfalfa?

IMG_6141.JPG

/ Mow or leave alone? #2  
If the hay it’s for cows, I would leave the alfalfa stems and cut the hay as is, even if it’s no protein in it, it will work for filler. I have cut Bermuda and Bahia with rye grass that had already died and went to seed and the cows eat it fine. And it’s like the old saying goes “it will beat a snow ball this winter”.

/ Mow or leave alone? #3  
Might want to wait a bit to see what the new growth is like.

/ Mow or leave alone? #4  
I would mow to promote growth. Also contact you local county agent for advice in your area.