MT372 fuel pump question

/ MT372 fuel pump question #1  

xriley

I recently acquired a MT372 with approximately 200hrs on it. The tractor has sat in a garage for 12 years or more. After bringing the tractor home I have drained and replaced all the fluids in the tractor and checked everything over. After filling with new diesel I primed the fuel lines by opening the two screws at the fuel filter, then opening the bleed screw at the fuel pump and and then taking the lines off of the injectors. The fuel ran with no bubbles up to the fuel pump but nothing comes out of the fuel pump while starting. It appears that the fuel pump is not working.

My questions are.

1) How do you get the fuel pump out? I have removed the four bolts from the top of the fuel pump and I was able to lift the fuel pump a 1/4 of the way out by twisting, but it seems to be hung on something and I did not want to force anything.

2) How easy is it to rebuild the fuel pump?

3) Are there any additivies to try that could possibly free up the fuel pump?

Replacement fuel pumps do not seem to be readily available, and it seems like diesel fuel pumps can be rebuilt so I would prefer to go this route.

Note: Fuel does seem to be puddeling at the fuel pump exit but does not spray out.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

/ MT372 fuel pump question #2  
I'm sure you probably have a good battery in there, it needs to spin pretty fast. Never had to open an injector fitting to bleed one. Some just have to bleed more than once. The pump is one item that should only be done by a pro, if it needs to be rebuilt. If the hours are correct your pump should be OK. If it has to be rebuilt, that could be some bucks. Make sure you give it a sporting chance before taking that pump off. How about the glow plugs?

/ MT372 fuel pump question #3  
Here is a picture of the page about the fuel pump from my manual. I have no scanner so this will have to do. If you zoom in you can read the text. Hope this helps. IMG_2018.jpg

/ MT372 fuel pump question
Thanks for the replies. Thank you skylark for the manual shot, it should be a big help. Is that from the shop manual?

The battery is new. I want to pull the pump just to see if there are any obvious problems. I need to confirm if the throttle is properly connected.

It will have to wait until Saturday.

Any other ideas would be more than welcome.

/ MT372 fuel pump question #5  
One more thought, which way did you move the throttle when you tried to crank it? Off is forward, wide open is all the way back. That is if it's the same as my two critters of similar vintage. Neither of mine are 372 though.

I had the throttle all the way back in the fast position.

/ MT372 fuel pump question #7  
It will take quite a few cranks to get fuel from the pump to the injectors (I'd guess at least 10 seconds worth of cranking at full fuel position) if they were empty to begin with. Also, you don't need to crack the lines at the injectors - the air will work it's way out automatically between the pump and injectors. It's the supply lines to the pump that you need to be sure the air is out of.

You probably won't see much by removing the pump. They do hang up on the fuel position fork and you need to rock it back and forth to remove it. I usually set the fuel to about 1/2 and that helps some too to disengage the fork when you pull the pump.

I'd let a diesel shop handle the pump if it were me but would spend some time up front making sure it truely isn't working. It would seem odd that both cylinders would not get fuel due to a faulty pump, but it is possible.

Problem is solved. Thanks to everyone again for the help. This is a great site for information. After finally getting the fuel pump out, I discovered that everything was gummed up in the fuel pump control side. The control valve seemed to be gummed up and the tappets had no resistance. I sprayed everything down with some deep creep and worked it a little. The tappets freed up first and then after I turned the engine over and got it to fire the throttle control loosened up. The procedure required me to pull the fuel pump several times due to me having a problem getting the throttle control fork to stay on the throttle control pin on the fuel pump. The throttle control pin was so gummed up that I guess the fork was jumping off the control pin since the control pin would not move freely. After the engine fired I had no control of the throttle so I had to turn off the fuel cut off valve. I removed the fuel pump again and found that the engine oil had splashed up on the fuel pump (as it is supposed to) and had freed up the throttle control pin. I bent the throttle control fork out a little and made sure the fuel pump was set in correctly and then buttoned it back up. Everyting is running good now.

Nice way to spend a saturday. But I learned something.

/ MT372 fuel pump question #9  
Glad you got it solved. You definitely wouldn't want the bill for a rebuild had a diesel fuel pump shop decided to do so...

/ MT372 fuel pump question #10  
Glad you were able to handle it. By the way, welcome to TBN!!