Mulch Layer

/ Mulch Layer #11  
dfb, do you have a problem keeping the soil moist when you have plastic coveringit and heating it up? i have used weed mat and silt fence. it is perforated and lets the rain in and keeps the weeds out. i used drip irragation tubes under it and the plants were huge .when i went to pullup the plants in the fall ,the roots were so deep ihad to rip them up with the backhoe....tgello

/ Mulch Layer
Tgello, the ground stays moist under plastic. Keeps the water from evaporating, usually if you slip your hand beneath the plastic mulch you will find water condensation on the underside of the plastic. There's been no problems with the rainwater getting into the ground when using the plastic. In fact during times of excessive rainfall the plastic mulch can actually help keep your crops from being drowned out from too much water.

BTW, for anyone who's interested here's another webpage link on using plastic mulch. There is a description there for fabricating a mulch lifter/remover for use with the tractor.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://agweb.okstate.edu/pearl/hort/vegetables/f6034.htm>http://agweb.okstate.edu/pearl/hort/vegetables/f6034.htm</A>

DFB

/ Mulch Layer #13  
DFB,

I'm considering buying a Holland transplanter; did you buy direct? If so, were you pretty satisfied with the service? Thanks

tony w

/ Mulch Layer
Tony, yes I bought direct from Holland Co. and delivery was by UPS. It came partially assembled, but all I really needed to do was bolt up the 3 point frame and attach and adjust the wheels and shovels to complete. Seems to be built solid enough for its intended purpose, welds look good. I was told to keep the box it came in and to try it, and if it didn't meet my needs they would authorize a UPS return call.

So, that type of transplanter seems to be what you could use?

DFB

/ Mulch Layer #15  
DFB,
Actually, I was looking at their transplanters. I don't use plastic mulch, but I do need a transplanter--and possible some sort of device to lay irrigation tape. I looked at Holland's transplanters and they seem to be just what I'm looking for, but I just wanted to know what quality their products are, and their customer service... From what you've said, sounds like they're worth doing business with.
Thanks

tony w