Mulching machine kills sleeping man

/ Mulching machine kills sleeping man #1  

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
Mulching machine kills sleeping man - Farmington Daily Times

FARMINGTON - A Farmington firefighter contracted to clear an overgrown lot in Farmington ran over a man Monday with a forestry mulching machine.

Chasen Kelley was working to clear a densely wooded vacant lot behind Best Buy and Safeway on East Main Street when he ran over Freddie Simpson while Simpson was sleeping under a tree, authorities said.

/ Mulching machine kills sleeping man #2  
Yikes! Than must have been unpleasant. Another reason to walk the ground you intend to clear. I did learn a new phrase for bum today: "street-inebriate".

/ Mulching machine kills sleeping man #3  
It remains unclear why Simpson, 59, was in the area.
[...]
Kelley was contracted to clear the nearly eight acres of woods and brush, which, in addition to posing a fire hazard, also posed a public safety issue to the area because it was the location of makeshift street-inebriate camps.

It would seem like one would wake up when one heard a mulching machine grinding up the nearby area. I wonder if alcohol, and perhaps other drugs, were involved.

Nonetheless, they apparently knew of the existence of a homeless camp in the area. 8 Acres is a pretty big area to mow, but the driver should have carefully checked the entire area before beginning the project, and they still probably should have had a spotter out there.

/ Mulching machine kills sleeping man #5  
How the heck could ANYONE sleep with a mulcher in the area... If youve ever been around one, they are kinda noisy! And not like they move "that" fast that you cant get out of their way.

Wonder if he was already dead?

/ Mulching machine kills sleeping man #6  
That is sad. A little like the guy in the warehouse in Rain King if I have my stories straight but more gory.

/ Mulching machine kills sleeping man #7  
What a way to go! ugh!

/ Mulching machine kills sleeping man #9  
8 acres is a big area to walk. Clearly he was out of it at the time. The homeless can be about anywhere is warm areas.