MX-6 gearbox compatibility.

/ MX-6 gearbox compatibility. #1  

Hjalbert

Tractor
JD 5210
Thank you in advance for any help. This is probably a shot in the dark, but I hope someone knows the answer to this. My circa 2002 MX6 out put shaft sheared the same way the others have. I can't really complain (but I still want to) since I didn't buy it new and it's 22 years old, but I'd buy a new cutter before paying the JD price for a new gear box. Does anyone know if a side gear box from an older MX-10 would work? I ask because there is one with a failed outer gear box for sale near me cheaper than the cost of a new gear box from John Deere, and about the same as I've seen the replacement output shafts sell for. That means it's still got one good outer, and I could potentially one day rebuild the other and mine and resell it at some point, but for now I'm looking for a quick solution.

Also curious if anyone has bought one of the replacement shaft/gear kits on eBay for around $700 and had any luck?

/ MX-6 gearbox compatibility.
Thank you in advance for any help. This is probably a shot in the dark, but I hope someone knows the answer to this. My circa 2002 MX6 out put shaft sheared the same way the others have. I can't really complain (but I still want to) since I didn't buy it new and it's 22 years old, but I'd buy a new cutter before paying the JD price for a new gear box. Does anyone know if a side gear box from an older MX-10 would work? I ask because there is one with a failed outer gear box for sale near me cheaper than the cost of a new gear box from John Deere, and about the same as I've seen the replacement output shafts sell for. That means it's still got one good outer, and I could potentially one day rebuild the other and mine and resell it at some point, but for now I'm looking for a quick solution.

Also curious if anyone has bought one of the replacement shaft/gear kits on eBay for around $700 and had any luck?
I believe I have answered my own question by comparing the part numbers for the gear kits on JDparts Web site. The housings are the same, but the output shaft and bevel gear kit part # are not. Not worth the hassle if it's not guaranteed to work.

/ MX-6 gearbox compatibility. #3  
Thanks for the link. They have one that looks a lot like the MX6 gear box. Slightly higher gear ratio, and much heavier duty. Maybe it will work! Gotta find out how much weight will be. That might kill it.

The gearbox did not include the hub and had an 18 spline output. Can't find any weld on hubs with that spline count so it's a no go.

/ MX-6 gearbox compatibility. #6  
The one with the 18 spline output sure looks like it is for 1,000 RPM pto speed.
(If I was looking at the right one)

The 18 spline one is for 170HP!! o_O
LOTS of splines on the input,,

So, the $178 unit is for 40HP,, If my tractor was 50HP PTO or less, I sure would try the $178 box.
(usually there is a lot of buffer in that HP rating,,)

I had a local machine shop make me a splined hub one time,,
not $30,, but, not $500 either
That is if you really want that 170HP box.

Unfortunately it's the distance from the bottom of the mounting flange to the end of the output shaft that is the main limitng factor. That is the main reason most of the shelf gearboxes won't work. At this point I'm thinking about just buying the Jbar premier 6 foot. Nothing comes close in price, and it's 3/16 deck and 75 hp gear box along with slip clutch should hold up for my purposes.

/ MX-6 gearbox compatibility. #8  
At this point I'm thinking about just buying the Jbar premier 6 foot. Nothing comes close in price,

I looked at the price of the J-bar,,
You absolutely are making the RIGHT CHOICE!!

BUT,, the price of a replacement gearbox STILL GALLS ME!!

I looked at the price of the J-bar,,
You absolutely are making the RIGHT CHOICE!!

BUT,, the price of a replacement gearbox STILL GALLS ME!!
Same. It's super frustrating. I am going to buy the JBar. Gotta put my truck back together first.
I went ahead and took the gearbox off. I am going to buy an aftermarket output shaft and bevel gear and rebuild it and maybe sell it with the disclaimer or abuse the crap out of it and see how long the replacement lasts.