MX5800 - Removing Steering Wheel?

/ MX5800 - Removing Steering Wheel? #1  

AaronM

Tractor
Kubota M62, MX5800, F2690
Went to use the MX5800 yesterday and as soon as it started up there was an explosion of cattle cubes coming out from under the hood. A rat had stuffed pretty close to a 5 gallon bucket full of cubes up under the dash and all on top of the engine. :mad: He also chewed through a fuel gauge wire and a mystery wire and I can not get the steering wheel off in order to remove the dash to inspect closer.

I tried a 3 jaw puller like I normally use for steering wheels but this steering wheel has such a thick rubber coating that the jaws don't have any real structure to grab onto. There are no threaded holes in the top. Does anyone have any tricks to getting that off? Does Kubota use some special puller or something?

/ MX5800 - Removing Steering Wheel? #2  
Have tapped up in a crossing pattern using a dead blow mallet.

Maybe a steel ring 4-6” diameter, notched to clear the steering column, something for your puller to grab?

/ MX5800 - Removing Steering Wheel? #3  
My Ford was like that. I had to cut about 1/4" of the plastic skirt off the bottom to expose the metal core at the bottom. Once I did that, my puller could grab metal. I still had to hammer on the puller screw to get it to pop loose.

/ MX5800 - Removing Steering Wheel? #4  
Spray the shaft and wheel hub with your favorite penetrant. Put the nut back on flush with the end of the shaft. Stand on the platform straddling the transmission and grasp the wheel rim with both hands at 3:00 and 9:00. Have an assistant strike the end of the shaft with a 2-3 pound hammer, preferably a dead blow.

If you continue with the puller, replace the nut in the described manner in order to lessen or prevent damage to the shaft.