My First REAL Tractor...Help Please!

/ My First REAL Tractor...Help Please!
Junkman,

Thanks for the welcome!
Those are words of wisdom if ever I've heard any. The last thing I want to do is end up in "The Big Tractor Showroom in the Sky"! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I am not in over my head as far as testing the circuitry and using an ohmmeter. BUT, I would not have considered the possibility that the tractor could start and lurch. Whew! Perish the thought!

Your advice is very much appreciated. That's what I like about you guys. You've been there, done that, and I haven't. I'll try to be a good student! And provide an occasional perspective from a female point of view (although you may not want to hear it...) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ My First REAL Tractor...Help Please! #12  
Welcome to TBN! You're not the only woman on here... but there aren't many! Junkman gave sound advice.. so go from there. I will also ditto what a previous poster said that Tractor Smart is a great site/store for info and parts. I've used them several times with great results.

Don't be a stranger to TBN!

/ My First REAL Tractor...Help Please! #13  
As a little extra safety precaution, you might want to put the transmission in neutral, and set the parking brake (or block the rear wheels) . Then if you would happen to start the engine, it won't go anywhere.

Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ My First REAL Tractor...Help Please! #14  
I have not look at an electrical schematic for this yet, but I just wonder if the glow plug indicator is broken then there will be no power send to the glow plug. This is only true if it's in series and parallel is otherwise.

Alex

/ My First REAL Tractor...Help Please! #15  
<font color="blue">Anything below that, she won't start without a shot of starting fluid (small shot). </font>

Mamasan,

I would be careful using starting fluid with a diesel. I have read that it can be the kiss of death to a diesel engine (at least ones using glow plugs). At least the kind used for gas engines.

Some use something like WD40 I think. I don't have any experience along these lines, and so I'm just reporting what others have said, somewhere within earshot of me, at sometime in the past.

Actually, come to think of it, I think starting fluid IS USED with some diesels that DO NOT have glow plugs. So using it without problem may actually be an indication that you DO have glow plugs that are not working.

Perhaps someone who knows more could add some specifics... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ My First REAL Tractor...Help Please! #16  
This is somewhat speculation, but I believe the propellant in WD40 is propane. I use WD40 to "start" my Spud Gun. No more than a 2 second spray or the UEL is exceeded and no ignition.

/ My First REAL Tractor...Help Please! #17  
My 1972 international diesel does not have glow plugs. It is/was equipped with an ether injection system to allow the operator to push a button from his (or her) seat and the ether automatically injects into the intake manifold.

I have heard that once you start using ether that it takes more and more to start it. When buying a used tractor, avoid those with an ether can under the seat.

Highbeam,

Thank you for your post. The glow plug problem is new and we have only used ether a couple of times to get her started until we can diagnose and fix the system. I have to wonder, though, since your machine is actually designed to use ether, why is it so dangerous to do so? I understand that if the glow plugs are working and you use ether, you have an explosive situation and can take out your engine. But if the glow plugs are not working, or the tractor is not equipped with glow plugs, such as yours, how is the judicious use of ether bad for the engine? This is just out of curiosity as diesels are new to me. I will certainly err on the side of caution and get her fixed right away, rather than take the "easy" way out by starting her with ether. Thanks again! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ My First REAL Tractor...Help Please! #19  
I don't know about Kubota engines, but on the older Mitusbishi and Satoh diesels, the piston tops are too thin to use ether. They are glow plug engines and there is a decal on the dash that says use no ether. If you go to satohparts.com you can look at photos of a Mitsubishi diesel ruined by the use of ether. Due to this, I would lean towards not using ether on any diesel that uses glow plugs. It is especially important not to use ether if the glow plugs are working. Aside from all that, I have heard that constant use of ether rounds off the top of the top compression ring. This will result in lower compression, which then results in the need to use ether when you shouldn't have to use any assist. Someone please correct me if I am wrong on that. You may also want to consider using a block heater.

Hey Guys,

An update: It appears that the culprit most likely is the glow plug controller. I've got one on the way and hope that it does the trick.

Hubby didn't know I posted here, and since he decided that he wanted to be the "main wrench", I just sat quietly in the corner and offered an occasional "suggestion". Thanks to your advice, I must say that I appeared absolutely brilliant. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

It's our little secret, let's just let him think that I am..........