My loader upgrade completed

/ My loader upgrade completed #1  

zmansmac

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7500
I've had a leakdown issue with the lift cylinders on my loader for some time and had been procrastinating on rebuilding them. After seeing Mars posting in January with his professional looking videos I was inspired to make a similar upgrade. My curl cylinders worked fine and I was primarily interested in more lifting power. My original cylinders are 1 1/2 inch bore with 1 inch rods. I purchased a couple of cylinders from Surplus Center that are 2 inch bore with 1 1/4 inch rods. They also had a 2 inch longer stroke. My original cylinders used 3/4 inch pins but the replacements had 1 inch tubing so I had to make some modifications to my loader to accommodate them. On the rod end I had to cut the tubing narrower to fit in the frame and simply inserted a 3/4 to 1 inch bushing. The real problem was the cylinder end. The loader frame was too narrow to accept it and I made new tab pieces with 1 inch bores which I welded on the outside of the frame to gain the additional width I needed. As it turned out I miscalculated the retracted length I wanted and ended up grinding off the tubing on the cylinder end and adding a 1 inch spacer. This resulted in the cylinder O.D. not becoming and issue with the frame and I could have used the bushing trick like the rod end. Overall I'm very happy with the result for added lifting power. Yes it's a little slower lifting but in my case I see that as a good thing keeping me out of trouble. And as a bonus with the additional length in stroke I gained 5 3/4 inched in maximum lift. My hat's off to Mars for this one.

Attachments

• original tab and cylinder better.jpg
    original tab and cylinder better.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 638
  • old tab cut out.jpg
    old tab cut out.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 563
  • tab welded on better.jpg
    tab welded on better.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 667
  • final pic.jpg
    final pic.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 670
   / My loader upgrade completed #2  
Nice job:thumbsup:

/ My loader upgrade completed #3  
Nice looking job.

And only one miscalculation per job is well under average (mine at least). Plus, if you can think up a plausible explanation for the spacer on the cylinder end for those few people knowledgeable enough to spot it and rude enough to ask about it, you did not miscalculate at all! How about: "They don't make a cylinder with the exact retracted length I needed so I had to modify it"

I enjoyed teaching my daughter to fabricate tractor, truck, and bulldozer "stuff" until she learned enough to spot my mistakes. Now when she comes over to see my newest invention she casually mentions each unused hole, spliced brace, and short piece in the scrap pile (or even worse, an obviously finished piece in the scrap pile).

Again, nice looking job.

/ My loader upgrade completed #6  
Nice job, looks good!:thumbsup:

/ My loader upgrade completed
Thank you for the kudos Michael. I wouldn't have even tacked this job if it weren't for Mars and his excellent videos.

Davy,

I used a Harbor Freight 110 Amp mig welder that I slightly modified to give a stronger, steadier arc. I used .030 solid wire with the Argon/CO2 mix.

JohnZ
B7500

/ My loader upgrade completed #8  
Nice work JohnZ! I didn't think of widening the loader frame to accept the bigger cylinders. It is nice the have the extra lift height and capacity. My 420 loader mods are holding up very well and I have put quite a few hours on them. I am sure that you will enjoy yours.
Mars