My possibly botched fuel filter change job questions

/ My possibly botched fuel filter change job questions #1  

sailorman

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota 2320
Kubota B2320 - changed out my fuel filter and it appears I may have a small leak somewhere around where the bowl screws into the receiver. My first thought is that I damaged one of the rubber O rings that seal bowl or tightened too much and cracked bowl. Bought replacement rings and, to be safe, an entire new fuel filter assembly if replacing rings fails.

Conundrum - Fuel tank is now full, but it needs to be no more than 1/4 full to prevent free fuel flow when bowl is removed. Service guy recommends I squeeze off fuel line from tank with channel locks, remove line from filter assembly, replace the rings, and screw bowl back on just enough to start the threads. Then re-attach line, let fuel into bowl, and tighten bowl. So my questions :

1 ) ya think I could damage the fuel line by squeezing it with channel locks ?

2 ) Where do ya think I went wrong ?

3) Do ya have an alternate solution I might use or a back up if it doesn 't work ?

/ My possibly botched fuel filter change job questions #2  
just drain the tank then refill.. no biggie.

syphon even..

soundguy

/ My possibly botched fuel filter change job questions #3  
I'd siphon out the tank, and while it's empty, install a fuel cutoff valve in the line so you won't have to go through this again

I'm surprised it doesn't already have one

/ My possibly botched fuel filter change job questions #4  
My JD 4010 has a fuel shutoff valve directly above the fuel filter. This is what you need.

My Lawnboy mower was missing a fuel shutoff. I installed one on it. This was after its line came loose and dumped gasoline into the pool equipment area where it was located. Before that, it would tend to flood a bit on standing hot and would VERY slowly leak the fuel out. Luckily, the pool pump wasn't commissioned for the season at the point it did its dump. Have since moved it to the basement of the carriage house where there isn't much flammable in there.

You could probably use the fuel shutoff that I installed on the Lawnboy. Bought it at Lowes.

Ralph