NAA Governor Compensating spring

/ NAA Governor Compensating spring #1  

OrtisEvans

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Farnall Cub, Kubota B2100
In looking for a new battery box for my NAA, I see references to a "governor compensating spring" that connects to the bottom of the battery box. My tractor has not had one in the 10 years that I have owned it. What does it do? Would not having it affect performance? Should I get and install it?

Thanks

/ NAA Governor Compensating spring #2  
The spring you referenced is to prevent the governor from moving the hand throttle as it changes engine speed by side loading the throttle rod. Most likely the original spring broke on yours and someone tightened down the spider washer to hold the throttle.

If your throttle is stiff, installing the spring might allow you to loosen the spider and still maintain throttle settings.

/ NAA Governor Compensating spring
The spring you referenced is to prevent the governor from moving the hand throttle as it changes engine speed by side loading the throttle rod. Most likely the original spring broke on yours and someone tightened down the spider washer to hold the throttle.

If your throttle is stiff, installing the spring might allow you to loosen the spider and still maintain throttle settings.

THANK YOU! That makes a lot of sense, and yes I have had to keep the spider washer tighter than I would expect. Buying the spring now.

/ NAA Governor Compensating spring #4  
Ortis, the pleasure is all mine - Glad I could help!!

/ NAA Governor Compensating spring #5  
it's amazing how many of these old girls are running around sans springs.