Narrowing 3ph arm angle and/or wheel spacers

/ Narrowing 3ph arm angle and/or wheel spacers #1  

houska

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 4225h; Kubota KX-040
I have a Branson 4225H. With it I use some attachments whose 3ph mounting pin spread is pretty wide, for instance a logging winch that has 26 1/4" inside (not centre to centre) between 3ph mounting pins.

I also have some nice used Trygg chains for the back wheels in winter.

Either the attachments or the chains of those work fine on their own, but they are dangerous together. The wide angle of the 3ph arms forced by the spread at the ends makes them be too close to the tire chains at the tractor end. The photo is an extreme case, due to sway when I put the winch down, but it illustrates the problem. I've previously mysteriously snapped a chain inside mounting link, and this is probably why.

What to do about it? I suppose I could get wheel spacers - I've avoided it up to now, since there's plenty of space for the chains in the wheelwell, and in the summer I value the 4225's narrow width. I already use Pat's Easy Change on the 3ph mounts, which extends them by about 2" which in turn slightly narrows the spread of the arms at the wheels.

Are there longer arms available? Some contraption that widens the spread between 3ph attachment ends? Should I just bite the bullet and get those wheel spacers? Other ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_3038.jpg
    IMG_3038.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 45
   / Narrowing 3ph arm angle and/or wheel spacers #2  
Are your rear wheels set out all the way now? They can have 4 different spacings set up on the rear wheels. Center hub offset "in" + outer rim offset "in", center hub offset "out" +outer rim offset "in", center hub offset "in" + outer rim offset "out", and center hub offset "out" + outer rim offset "out".

Mine are set to center hub offset "out" + outer rim offset "in", as in this picture:

20180107_101608.jpg

/ Narrowing 3ph arm angle and/or wheel spacers #3  
Can you turn the pins inward on your implement instead of having them point outward? Most can be installed either way and that makes a big difference on where your 3PH arms are in relation to the tire.

/ Narrowing 3ph arm angle and/or wheel spacers
Are your rear wheels set out all the way now? They can have 4 different spacings set up on the rear wheels.
Nice one. I'm not sure, I will check.

Can you turn the pins inward on your implement instead of having them point outward? Most can be installed either way and that makes a big difference on where your 3PH arms are in relation to the tire.
Unfortunately not, at least not the logging winch. 26 1/4" is the inside position. The outside (Cat II) is 32"

/ Narrowing 3ph arm angle and/or wheel spacers #5  
Can you remove the outside stabilizer bar and use an inside check/stabilizer chain? Or a inside stabilizer connected to the swing draw bar or swing drawbar plate? With the inside connections, I think you would have to be careful with the geometry to allow for lift operation; or fix the hitch so it can't lift.

/ Narrowing 3ph arm angle and/or wheel spacers #6  
You could also consider turning your rear wheels to an outside profile if not already done