Need Advice: Want to convert flail mower to hydraulic drive...

/ Need Advice: Want to convert flail mower to hydraulic drive... #1  

sampotter

Tractor
ATV
Hello all- This is my 1st post. I have a 50" flail mower that was a tow behind with a 10hp B+S engine mounted on the housing, which drives the reel using a belt. I took the wheels off and built a frame so it would fit on the front of my ATV. It works awesome, but I think I can improve on it by taking the engine off and converting it to a hydraulic drive. I would put the engine etc on the back rack of the ATV and run hoses to the mower. This would balance out the weight a lot better. Can anyone give me any guidelines as to what I need as far as a pump, motor, and cooling requirements? Or paste the links to any threads where this may have already been covered?
View attachment 420839

/ Need Advice: Want to convert flail mower to hydraulic drive... #2  
Any idea of the rotor rpm?

Need to know that for the correct hyd motor.

Right now, you are using 10 HP to drive the rotor, so you will need a hyd motor turning at the same rotor speed and provides enough torque.

So, if you are going to use that 10 HP engine to drive a pump, you can run a pump putting out 6.5 GPM's at 2500 psi

I am thinking you will need a larger engine.

Is the conversion going to be worth the dollars you will spend for the conversion.

Pump, motor, valves, tank, etc

Go ahead and delete your other post.

/ Need Advice: Want to convert flail mower to hydraulic drive...
Thanks J.J.- I'll measure the pulleys on the shaft of the engine and the rotor, which I assume I can use to calculate the RPMs of the rotor. I was guessing I would need a larger engine as well. If I could do it all for <$1500 I would be very happy. The usefulness of the mower would make it worthwhile. The only other idea I saw that was interesting was a product that Quickattach has: it is a rear mounted engine that has a long jack shaft running up under the belly of the ATV to the implement in the front. I prefer the hydraulic idea to this because I'd rather not having that spinning shaft under there if I end up straddling a rock or stump on a skid road.

P.S. I attempted to delete the other post but was unable to figure out how. Please assist.

/ Need Advice: Want to convert flail mower to hydraulic drive... #4  
   / Need Advice: Want to convert flail mower to hydraulic drive... #5  
I order to delete the other post, you go to edit and select delete post at the bottom of the page.

You only have so many hours to do this.

25 HP KOHLER COURAGE ENGINE SV730-3047

The engine above can support a 15 GPM pump at 2500 psi.

So now, you need a hyd motor with the right rpm and torque.

At least a 15 gal tank. 15 GALLON HYDRAULIC RESERVOIR / TANK

Motor spool valve. 1 SPOOL WALVOIL SD4 HYDRAULIC MOTOR CONTROL VALVE

Hoses and fittings.

Coupling from hyd motor to rotor, either direct drive or belt and pulley.

Last edited:
   / Need Advice: Want to convert flail mower to hydraulic drive... #7  
On deleting a post, you may have exceeded your time limit.

On the post you just did, look at the bottom of the post and see if it says edit, and if so, you can edit or delete the post, add pictures or whatever.

OK someone, what is the time limit for editing or deleting a post?

The time limit must be past..

J.J.- do you think I can get away with a smaller engine than the 25HP? If not, the added weight would make it a little too much for my ATV. The specs list 125# + hydraulic fluid + pump+ motor + other odds and ends will be more than double the weight of the engine I would be replacing. It's sounding like a jack (pto) shaft running under the belly of the ATV may be the route to go with. I would have to put a gear box on the mower housing to transfer the power 90 degrees though. That would be the most complicated part I can think of.

/ Need Advice: Want to convert flail mower to hydraulic drive... #10  
There isn't a button that says "Delete this post in the following manner:" that I can find?
After " Go Advanced", this screen comes up.

dp.JPG

The time limit is 24 hours.