Need backhoe subframe front-mount fabricated. Kubota B2910 / B7800. Suggestions?

/ Need backhoe subframe front-mount fabricated. Kubota B2910 / B7800. Suggestions? #1  

CH4Ohio

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910, JD5103, Kubota L5740
I found a Woods backhoe subframe for my B2910 Kubota some time ago. However, it did NOT come with the needed FRONT MOUNT. I contacted Woods and they were kind enough to provide this engineering drawing of the front mount.

I'm no welder. Where would you guys go to get something like this fabricated? Welding shop? Machine shop?

I also don't understand some of the notes on the drawing. What does the "2X WRAP CORNERS .2" and the "2X NO WELD" notes mean??

I've been sitting on this project for a couple years. I'd like to get this piece fabricated so I can finally switch my backhoe over from the 3-point mount setup.

(FYI, this WOODS part number 1005646 shows as available at Messicks and several others, however, I've checked with all of them and it's actually not available or in-stock despite what their inventory system says.)

I know a lot of you would just make this yourselves. Welding or metal-fabrication is not one of my strengths. Advice or suggestions wanted! Thanks!

1696257442359.png

1696257554717.png

/ Need backhoe subframe front-mount fabricated. Kubota B2910 / B7800. Suggestions? #2  
I found a Woods backhoe subframe for my B2910 Kubota some time ago. However, it did NOT come with the needed FRONT MOUNT. I contacted Woods and they were kind enough to provide this engineering drawing of the front mount.

I'm no welder. Where would you guys go to get something like this fabricated? Welding shop? Machine shop?

I also don't understand some of the notes on the drawing. What does the "2X WRAP CORNERS .2" and the "2X NO WELD" notes mean??

I've been sitting on this project for a couple years. I'd like to get this piece fabricated so I can finally switch my backhoe over from the 3-point mount setup.

(FYI, this WOODS part number 1005646 shows as available at Messicks and several others, however, I've checked with all of them and it's actually not available or in-stock despite what their inventory system says.)

I know a lot of you would just make this yourselves. Welding or metal-fabrication is not one of my strengths. Advice or suggestions wanted! Thanks!
CH4, It looks to me that what you have there is an incomplete drawing. Somehow it got filed at Woods as the final drawing. This has the look of being just the start of an in-shop project for a prototype rather than a final production drawing. This one has too many dimensions missing or needing to be filled in after it is trial-fitted to the tractor. Also overall dimensional & material info is missing, and the missing info is all of the type that the designer would fill in after a couple of trial fits and revisions.

BTW, "2X" means to "do it twice". In this case I imagine he means his instructions apply to both of those pieces.
"Wrap corners" and "not weld" is the sort of notes a designer might put on a drawing to a welder he has worked with before. My guess is the designer wants to be able to position those pieces on the tube for a trial fitting, expects they may have to slide laterally on the cross-bracing tube, and also doesn't want to have to cut them off if they are way wrong. So just crimp them into position....

There will also be a drawing for the parts that are bolted to the backhoe and that slip onto this piece - you still need those unless you have the parts. This drawing is a decent start of a design. Not a finished piece.

I've had several 3pt mount hoes and others as well. Be careful with that 3pt hoe. They can hurt.

rScotty

/ Need backhoe subframe front-mount fabricated. Kubota B2910 / B7800. Suggestions?
rScotty,

I’ve used the 3-point hoe quite a bit. But every time I use it, I realize how easily someone could break their tractor in two with it. I definitely want to get the subframe together.

Thanks for the insight. I was thinking that someone could just put a scale on this drawing and fabricate this piece from it.

Based on your comments, I should probably just take the tractor and subframe to someone that can test-fit the pieces needed for the front mount before final welding.

Thanks!

/ Need backhoe subframe front-mount fabricated. Kubota B2910 / B7800. Suggestions? #4  
rScotty,

I’ve used the 3-point hoe quite a bit. But every time I use it, I realize how easily someone could break their tractor in two with it. I definitely want to get the subframe together.

Thanks for the insight. I was thinking that someone could just put a scale on this drawing and fabricate this piece from it.

Based on your comments, I should probably just take the tractor and subframe to someone that can test-fit the pieces needed for the front mount before final welding.

Thanks!
Some welders are good designers and enjoy the process & others not. They are all expensive by the hour to do design and fab work.

I would first try everything possible to get Woods, Messicks, & Kubota to find you a finished subframe. There has to be one somewhere. And if that does not work, plan two is:

Plan 2. Even with a subframe to go on and a finished production drawing in hand I think you will find it cheaper to sell what you have and buy a hoe and frame that fits. Yes, it's a bitter pill. We finally bought a Kubota TLB to solve that very problem. Absolutely worth it.

rScotty

/ Need backhoe subframe front-mount fabricated. Kubota B2910 / B7800. Suggestions?
Some welders are good designers and enjoy the process & others not. They are all expensive by the hour to do design and fab work.

I would first try everything possible to get Woods, Messicks, & Kubota to find you a finished subframe. There has to be one somewhere. And if that does not work, plan two is:

Plan 2. Even with a subframe to go on and a finished production drawing in hand I think you will find it cheaper to sell what you have and buy a hoe and frame that fits. Yes, it's a bitter pill. We finally bought a Kubota TLB to solve that very problem. Absolutely worth it.

rScotty

No one has the subframes. Others have posted on here with the same problem. There must be parts and frames rusting behind barns and sheds, but they’re not listed for sale online.

You’re probably right about just buying a package that’s already complete. This isn’t the best little tractor for a backhoe setup anyway. But it sure beats a shovel.

It’s tempting to try to get this subframe installed — since I already have it. 😉. But ….. Maybe I’m not as close to complete as I originally thought.

/ Need backhoe subframe front-mount fabricated. Kubota B2910 / B7800. Suggestions? #6  
You're right, many people would take a stab at that themselves, it'd likely cost a bit to take the tractor and that drawing to a fab shop to get made... there's not enough dimensions to make it from just that drawing but it does have some important ones there. It does look like those 3 holes are in line which helps. It's coming up on winter, if you get lucky you might be able to find a farm that has a shop and some down time... or just search around, I live like 7 miles from the nearest town and there's at least one fab shop within 3 miles of me...

/ Need backhoe subframe front-mount fabricated. Kubota B2910 / B7800. Suggestions? #7  
No one has the subframes. Others have posted on here with the same problem. There must be parts and frames rusting behind barns and sheds, but they’re not listed for sale online.

You’re probably right about just buying a package that’s already complete. This isn’t the best little tractor for a backhoe setup anyway. But it sure beats a shovel.

It’s tempting to try to get this subframe installed — since I already have it. 😉. But ….. Maybe I’m not as close to complete as I originally thought.
There are several Amish fab/machine shops I can direct you to in northeast Ohio that could probably do it, if you can't find someone local and you're willing to travel a bit. Looks like a very expensive project.

There are several Amish fab/machine shops I can direct you to in northeast Ohio that could probably do it, if you can't find someone local and you're willing to travel a bit. Looks like a very expensive project.

I'll let you know. Going to check locally and see if the estimates I get scare me out of pursuing this altogether. I did also reach out to a local vocational school that has a welding program. I don't know if they are looking for projects and I might help them out while saving some on the labor.

I appreciate everyone's feedback!

/ Need backhoe subframe front-mount fabricated. Kubota B2910 / B7800. Suggestions? #9  
I'd attack it on three fronts , #1 Trying to find the parts or complete subframe for sale #2 Trying to find someone willing to let you measure their subframe and make sketches. #3 Look parts up as you did previously and this time look toward bottom of parts list for a statment to the effect of "this part fits model #s xxxx,xxxx,xxxx,yy and zzz" As I recal you will find that statement for parts at Messicks and there's likly others as well. Also looking for those models that are the same increases odds of success tremendously for #1 & 2 above. And of course offering something in exchange really helps. Guided fishing or hunting,free weekend at beach house, fifth of Johnnie Walker or Maker's Mark.

/ Need backhoe subframe front-mount fabricated. Kubota B2910 / B7800. Suggestions? #10  
Just take your equipment and drop it off at a local millwright shop. Don't even ask them to quote, just tell them "git 'er done". When it's done, pay the bill and be happy - no matter what the cost - because you've stuck it to the man.

This is the best life lesson you will ever get.